cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client 4.0.3(A) can't connect to server - Reason 412

wattobotf
Level 1
Level 1

My worksite installed the Cisco VPN Client 4.0.3(A) on my ibm thinkpad running Windows 2000 (5.00.2195) Service Pack 4. At home, we have a home network through our DSL line. The main computer is running Windows XP SP2 with internet connection sharing. When I plug my Windows 2000 ibm thinkpad into a jack on our network, I can easily surf websites; however, I cannot connect to my work server and receive the following: Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the client. Reason 412: the remote peer is no longer responding. Several seconds are spent "Initializing the IPSec Link" before the window pops up.

The windows xp machine hosting the ICS also has the firewall on. I have tried disabling the firewall and then connecting the thinkpad to the network, start the vpn connection and still the same error.

Help!

2 Replies 2

ehirsel
Level 6
Level 6

How is your vpn connection defined? Are you using NAT-T over TCP or NAT-T over UDP, or native IKE. Native IKE may not work due to ICS, so if you are using it, then redefine the connection.

What type of gateway are you using? It will need to use NAT-T if your client does.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the settings. The laptop is a government laptop and secured. I have no problem using the vpn via dial up or at hotels with broadband connections, just through windows xp (sp2) ICS. I have even tried turning the firewall off on the ics machine, restarted the machine and then tried the vpn connection and get the same error. I am beginning to think that the problem is that the client and the windows ics gateway are not compatible.