cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client Install 32-bit Vista SP2 machine.

mgloede12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, any input on this would be appreciated.

Two seperate users in two seperate locations claim the client "uninstalled itself".  The desktop shortcut points to nothing and all but 2 files in the "VPN Client" folder are missing and there is no uninstall option from the add/remove programs in the control panel.

I have tried to reinstall the client (latest and last 2 versions), which gave me a "could not create file" error.  I changed the unzip path and it intalled and worked fine until reboot when the exact same thing happened.  The machine does not appear to be rolling back to a restore point or doing any other "start-up repairs" There are several entries over the past 2-3 weeks in the Event log for restore points set "reason: removed Cisco Vpn client 5.0.07......". Keep in mind these messages seemed to be there when the client was working.

I have tried numerous fixes and still no joy.  Any ideas?

For grins i tried to intall the 64-Bit client, and to my surprise it unzipped the files fine (no could not create file error, even for exact same path) , but of course got the processor mismatch error that i expected.

EDIT: I did Run Malware bytes and AV Scans prior to reinstallations with no hits.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

1 Reply 1

mgloede12
Level 1
Level 1

Update:  I removed remnants of the previous install from the folder the msi was tring to unzip to and the program unzipped and installed.  unfortunately i am now getting a Error 442: unable to start Virtual adaptor.  I have done the workarounds on this site. Both disabling connection sharing and the regisry hack.  Neither have yielded results.  I have also tried repairing the VPN network connection but windows reports there are no errors so i do not have the option to reset the adaptor.

One thing i have noticed is that the VPN connection starts disabled, until i run the Client, then it will enable and stay enabled even after i shut down the client.  Is this normal?

If i uninstall using the windows uninstaller, where else should i look to be sure there are no remaining traces of a prior install remaining. I would like to start completely from scratch from the VPN client standpoint.   Is there a Manual uninstall guide for Version 5.0.07?  I have seen such guides for older versions.

any insight someone may have would be great, thanks in advance!