cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client not work on LAN with Cisco 837 ADSL Router

gwhitten
Level 1
Level 1

I have a laptop computer with Cisco VPN client installed that will connect the client but not allow access to the remote system. I can connect to the remote system via a modem connection to my ISP. When I try to ping my remote system from the LAN behind the 837 ADSL router I get no response. I have no access to change the settings on the 837 ADSL so I need to be able to resolve the problem on the laptop if possible. I would appreciate any advice.

4 Replies 4

pkapoor
Level 3
Level 3

I understand that you have a laptop (that you refer to as remote system) which has the VPN Client installed on it. This client connects to the ADSL router. Right?

Further, you are trying to reach this laptop (after it is connected via the VPN Client, from the LAN on the ADSL router. Right?

If yes, then what you can try to do is disable the "Stateful Firewall (Always on)" option on the VPN Client - right click on the yello lock icon in the system tray and uncheck the option.

(And if I have not understood your scenario well, then please elaborate on it. I am sure I can help you find the answer).

I understand that you have a laptop (that you refer to as remote system) which has the VPN Client installed on it. This client connects to the ADSL router. Right?

Yes! Via a LAN connection.

Further, you are trying to reach this laptop (after it is connected via the VPN Client, from the LAN on the ADSL router. Right?

NO! I am trying to connect from the laptop back to the office via the Internet.

Which interface on the ADSL router does your client connect when going over the LAN connection?

I believe the Ethernet cable is connected to the Ethernet port. (I am not at the location currently.) The site I am trying to connect from is also connected to another site via a vpn tunnel connection. The internal ip address of the Cisco 837 Router I am attempting to pass-thru is set at 192.168.7.1 if that helps. I am connecting back to a Cisco PIX 501 and assigning an ip of 192.168.4.xxx once connected. When I run “ipconfig” it shows the ip address for the NIC card of 192.168.7.xxx and the 192.168.4.xxx number for the vpn client.

Does the Cisco 837 Router have a setting that must be set to allow pass-thru?