Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client RDP issue. Drops when connecting from inside network

mariocabrejo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I would like to know if it is possible to RDP a vpn client once it connects(Ipsec Tunnel) to the VPN Concentrator from my inside network.

When any vpn client connects, I can ping it from my inside network, start the RDP session, but once It connects(it passes the local computer authentication), it then drops the vpn session connection.

I might be missing something simple.

Thanks in advance.

Mario

2 Replies 2

lbradshaw
Level 1
Level 1

I don't normally do this.

But I have seen something like what your saying.

If I read this right, your starting a vpn session.

Going to a server somewhere on your network and starting terminal services.

Then the vpn session dies?

There are only a few places that you can have the timers set to low, or you may be using port 1503 for windows nt, it's port 3389 on win2K servers.

But from the way you discribe it.

I think you should try changing you vpn agent to auth local, and place a username and password on the firewall for this exercise.

If it works with the firewall auth local.

Let me know and we can try some other stupid windows tricks

Lee

Hi Lee, thanks for your input.

Got it working!

It was more of a RDP microsoft related than Cisco. I realized that after you start a RDP session, it logs off the current local logged on user on the remote vpn client and by doing this it also stops the vpn session tunnel since it is not running "as a microsoft service" on the computer.

I just downloaded a free copy of VNC and setup my remote vpn client as a VNC server. Now I can easyly access my home lab without the need to stablish a site to site tunnel!

Thanks

Mario Cabrejo

Network Engineer