cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client through PIX 501

dwissehr
Level 1
Level 1

I am using Cisco VPN Client 4.6 to establish an IPSec tunnel w/ a PIX 501. The client is also behind a PIX 501. I can establish the tunnel, but I can't do anything after that. I can't ping any hosts or the gateway at the remote site. When I move the client from behind the PIX, to a Symantec firewall, The VPN works like a champ. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Thanx for any help!

Dave

3 Replies 3

Patrick Iseli
Level 7
Level 7

isakmp nat-traversal 20

Network Address Translation (NAT), including Port Address Translation (PAT), is used in many networks where IPSec is also used, but there are a number of incompatibilities that prevent IPSec packets from successfully traversing NAT devices. NAT traversal enables ESP packets to pass through one or more NAT devices.

The firewall supports NAT traversal as described by Version 2 and Version 3 of the IETF "UDP Encapsulation of IPsec Packets" draft, available at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipsec-charter.html, and NAT traversal is supported for both dynamic and static crypto maps. NAT traversal is disabled by default on the firewall.

To enable NAT traversal, check that ISAKMP is enabled (you can enable it with the isakmp enable if_name command) and then use the isakmp nat-traversal [natkeepalive] command. (This command appears in the configuration if both ISAKMP is enabled and NAT traversal is enabled.) If you have enabled NAT traversal, you can disable it with the no isakmp nat-traversal command. Valid values for natkeepalive are from 10 to 3600 seconds. The default is 20 seconds.

See: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801727a9.html#wp1027312

sincerely

Patrick

Thank you, I will try that. What about configuring IPSec to use tcp instead of udp. That option is available in the client, but it doesn't work. Thanx again.

Dave

The TCP option on port 10000 does just exists on VPN Concentrators 3xxx and is not supported on the PIX.

sincerely

Patrick