cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Connects but no internet available to remote user

twaite
Level 1
Level 1

We have a PIX506. Using both Cisco VPN Client and Windows PPTP. Both were running just fine. Then all at once both connections failed. The Cisco VPN connects but has no internet connection available to the remote user, they can connect to other machines remotely. The MS client connects with no problem, internet on the remote computer is fine, but user can not connect to anything on the other end of the VPN tunnel.

First, we reloaded the PIX. As in the past when connections bogged down we just re-started to clear NAT. Thus far I have gone so far as to completely remove and re-configure PIX again for VPN, but same problem.

Nothing has changed for clients computers. Laptops with WinXP Pro SP2. No new software installed, etc..

Any ideas on where I should go from here?

1 Reply 1

sstudsdahl
Level 4
Level 4

Take a look at the thread linked below. If you find it useful, please give points to mostiguy @ netnumina.com as he deserves the credit and not me.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dd63f0c/2#selected_message

One other alternative that you might explore though would be to use a filter that defines what traffic to tunnel and what traffic not to tunnel. You should also be able to defind a split-tunnel ACL, that will allow Internet traffic to bypass the VPN tunnel. The drawback to doing this is that it exposes your internal network to an attack if the vpn client machine gets hacked into from the Internet. Once that controls is given to the Internet, it is easy to pass traffic through the client into the secured network.

Steve