cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN router with 2 ip addresses

richmorrow624
Level 1
Level 1

I have a remote site that has a router configured for DLS in case of failure of the primary MPLS circuit.

The DSL is not used otherwise.

We have a client that is currently connecting via a different DSL connection in the building. The client's connection is going to be removed to save money.

My current DSL provider is going to give me an additional Internet IP address on my existing circuit for my client.

I am thinking I can give my DSL router the additional address (on say FE0/1/0 in the config).

I have two questions:

Can I just put a switch in between the DSL modem and my router, plug both ethernet from router and ethernet from DSL modem?

Is there any way to isolate my client's traffic from mine for security reasons?

1 Reply 1

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I have come across a similar scenario once, and what I did was put a route on the clients (route add) where traffic to the other subnet, the one you want to isolate, is routed to the internal 127.0.0.1 IP address, effectively blackholing that traffic. Not sure if that is a feasible solution for you.

As to the physical setup, you could just add the new IP address as a secondary address to your existing interface.

I hope I understood your setup correctly, does the solution make sense ?

Regards,

GNT