cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN through 1602R

tom_parker
Level 1
Level 1

I have a small network that I originally had a 2611XM at the edge and I was able able to create a Cisco VPN Client tunnel back to a Concentrator 3000 at another site. We recently had to downsize the edge router to a 1602R and since then, I can't make the VPN connection. I am running 12.0.3(T) on the 1602R and was wondering if it was a function of the router or the code that is blocking the connection. Its all I can think of since it worked with the 2611 and that is the only change.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I checked the Software Advisor on the Cisco site and it indicates that there are feature sets within 12.0T that do support IPSec VPN. So it looks like the router is capable of supporting it based on what version and especially what feature set you are running. So can you provide specifics about what code you are running? (the flash file name would probably include what we need to see to be able to answer your question.)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I checked and the image file name shows aaa0269 which doesn't give any info about versions. Here's what show ver gives me:

IOS (tm) 1600 Software (C1600-Y-M), Version 12.0(3), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 08-Feb-99 20:15 by phanguye

Image text-base: 0x02005000, data-base: 0x02455958

Is this enough?

Tom

You are right that the file name is not helpful in this case. But the show ver is helpful I believe. It looks to me like your feature code (C1600-Y-M) indicates that your router has the IP feature set which does not include support for IPSec VPN. This would explain the problem that you are having. Depending on the memory available on the router it may be possible to upgrade the IOS to a feature set which does support IPSec VPN.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you. I appreciate your time in this matter. That was the answer I was expecting.

Tom