cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When connected to VPN on home network, Internet Drops

RGreg20
Level 1
Level 1

My organization utilizes Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for remote employees. When I'm  connected to my home network and connect to the VPN; my internet disconnects (I can still access corporate files). If I disconnect from my home network and utilize my mobile hot-spot everything works like a charm. I have an ASUS RT-AC87U router, and ASUS believes it could be a compatibility issue. Does anyone know of this issue or a way around it?

Regards,

Ron

8 Replies 8

mattjones03
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It would seem that your network administrator is possibly only allowing access to internal resources.

If your company policy allows, you could ask that your network administrator provide you with a split tunnel VPN configuration, allowing access to local resources and corporate services.

Matt,

Thanks for the response. I don't believe it is due to tunneling, due to the fact when I connect to VPN over mobile hotspot, I can access the internet.

Hi,

Yes, I mis-read that nugget of information.

Is your Cisco Anyconnect configured to use SSL or IPSec v2?

GaryM
Level 1
Level 1
I have exactly the same problem when connecting from home via my Asus RT-N66U router over Virgin Media. Work's fine via mobile tether. My company's help desk has no solution as yet. I have previously used Cisco AnyConnect to connect to a previous company's network from the same home network without issue.

We are experiencing the same. My wife uses cisco anyconnect for her corporate connection and as soon as the client connects the internet drops. The client still reports as connected. I use Pulse secure and SonicWALL netconnect as well as other VPN solutions and have never experienced a problem. Has anyone found a solution to the Cisco anyconnect with Asus DSL AC68U?

OK an update on the Cisco Anyconnect / ASUS issue. Having tried adjusting all of the settings available on the router relating to pass-through etc. the connection still exhibited the same issue. Reluctantly I reinstalled my BT home hub together with its associated DSL modem and everything now works as it should. The problem does appear to be with the ASUS router but I cannot find anything in its configuration that can be altered to make this VPN work.

Also experiencing the same/similar issue. I can connect to the anyconnect, but then I lost access to my companies outlook email and most web pages do not open in the browser. Using RT-AC86U router, everything worked fine until about a week ago. Everything works fine on mobile hotspot and on other wifi networks or when I plug directly into the modem. I have reached out to my companies IT and they did nothing as well as ASUS IT and they are not really doing anything either. Please help!

Dan Coats
Level 1
Level 1

Your corporate network will typically have a tunnel group specified. If their tunnel group matches with your internal home network then you will experience issues described above. You may need to change your internal home subnet to "not" match anything in the corporate tunnel group settings. Example, If your corporate tunnel group specifies 10.0.0.0/8 and your home internal subnet starts with 10. then you will have issues. You need to change your internal network to 192.168.x.x something to not overlap with the corporate tunnel group.