cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Router should I use for many VPN Connections?

oufyaba
Level 1
Level 1

I want to setup my main site to connect to all child site slocated on the internet through VPN tunnels. I have about 60 child sites, and thier circuit speed range from 128K to a Full T-1. My main site conection to the internet in a T-1. I want setup a 3DES IPSEC VPN Tunnel from my main site to all child sites, like a star toplogy. What router is recommnded for such setup that will handle all the tunnels? 3600? 3700? 7XXX? All child sites have 2621 routers, which shouldn't be a problem running one VPN tunel on. Is there a formula out there to calcultae the number of tunels on each router, to see the capacity on the main router site? Should I get a separate VPN card for the router?

plz advice and thanks in advnace

Tony

1 Reply 1

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no exact formula, it really depends on how much traffic you're going to run over the tunnels. For 60 tunnels I would recommend a 7100 with a HW encryption module in it, this'll cater for any future expansion as well. Max out the memory to allow for future IOS upgrades also.

Your Cisco sales rep can probably help you further, it's difficult for us to speculate on what would suit you best without detailed analysis.