Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows XP Pro & VPN Client Software problem

mjspiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Im trying to install the Cisco VPN Client software on my XP Pro machine. The software will not install - it say XP's Internet Connection Sharing must be uninstalled first. I have looked and can not find how to do this. I cant even find where it is enabled.

Can someone help?

Thank you.

Mike

4 Replies 4

beth-martin
Level 5
Level 5

You have to have two NICs in your machine to use ICS so it won’t even show up without it. I use the VPN software without ICS so I think something else is the problem. Talk to Cisco and let me know what you come up with.

mac_irvine
Level 1
Level 1

Ran into this problem myself. It appears that XP's Firewall and Internet Connection Sharing share the same service. All I did was disable the firewall on my Internet Connection and then I was able to install without any problems.

Mac

Thank you very much!!! I will try this tonight and let you know the results. If I disable my firewall, I will have to reinstall some type of software firewall. With my Charter Cable modem service, they seem to have problems with software firewalls. I have a Linksys router for a hardware firewall, but it was causing some problems, so I disconnected it.

I will be worried about being connected without any firewall.

Mike

Once you've got VPN installed, you should be able to re-enable your firewall. The worst you might have to do is disable the firewall while VPN is active but the VPN client has it's own firewall anyway.