Views
Helpful
Replies

Block iGoogle

EssWhy_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Having a bit of trouble getting my head round this one. Would like to be able to block iGoogle while still allowing access to www.google.com.

URL for iGoogle in AUS is http://www.google.com.au/ig?rls=ig&hl=en&source=iglk

I'm assuming a reg expression is required but not sure what it should look like.

Any help would be appreciated. :D
Thanks.

2 Replies 2

dingall
Level 1
Level 1

I'll bump this one up a bit!

I would also like to find a way to block iGoogle. Our issue is that we block webmail by default for all users, but if you can access iGoogle you can add a widget that lets you use your Google Mail account! It appears that the widget doesn't make any call to the usual Google Mail URL's so the IronPorts don't see anything to block.

Our only option at the moment is to block iGoogle, but I can't work out how to do that. Can anyone help us?

Hey Guys,

Switching to iGoogle from google can be blocked by using the following regex:

www\.google\.com/ig[?/]

This will prevent someone from switching to iGoogle from the standardard Google page. This will NOT block someone from accessing iGoogle that has already switched to it. iGoogle uses cookies to track who uses it or not. Once the cookie has been set, there is no way for the WSA to differentiate the igoogle page vs. the standard google page.

Regards,

Josh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: