Views
Helpful
Replies

DCI, Packets, Keywords, and Missing Data

2canSam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have kind of a weird one for you here. I am not nearly as educated as I'd like to be about computer networking, though I hope to learn more through this forum. I work for a company that manufacturers an IoT device for which there is an optional cloud service that stores data (sending 1 packet every 60 seconds) that would otherwise be lost locally over time.

Now, I wasn't here during the design phase of these products. However, the packets, contain information about a device this company calls "MTU" (measuring transmitting unit) and has information in different fields about status updates from the device (MTU 0, MTU 1, MTU 2, etc.) I'm in tech support. I get calls from people occasionally with weird network problems for which the general fix is to reactivate the system from scratch, and possibly lose data in the process. 

I was looking into OUI's and MAC address features because I am writing an application to help people find these devices more easily on their networks. When I started dissecting packets, I came to this worry after reading up about deep content inspection and packet loss: Is it possible, that along randomly generated routes through the internet, the packet could encounter an ISP or even a node with DCI and drop the packets because 'MTU' is one of their keywords to prevent IPv4 fragmentation attacks?

I feel sort of crazy posting this because though I aspire to be a Network Engineer someday I am nowhere near knowledgeable enough to tell if I'm asking the right questions, but as I finish school and study for my future CCNA, I thought I would check in and see if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks for your time, guys.

Daniel

0 Replies 0