Views
Helpful
Replies

IronPort: Re-sizing an existing installation

cmcclinton
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I have a few questions regarding the licensing of a WSA appliance that is already in service and how to determine whether license count should be increased or decreased.

With an existing IronPort S370 WSA how do you determine the actual usage level vs the actual licensed user count?

How would a customer know whether they need to increase or decrease their license count?

Is the quantity-based subscription license for web usage controls actually based on indvidual users or connections?

The IronPort summary page happily reports the current number of connections, should this information be used to determine the 'user' count?

Is there any mechansim to determine whether the existing license count has been breached?

Lots of questions there... any answers or opinions would be greatly valued .

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

WSA is licensed by the user count of your company. You're on the honor system to buy what you should have. There is no mechanism to track or stop access if you go over your license. Connections is just that, connections. When a web browser opens 10 or 15 connections to grab a web page, you cant count that as "users"...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

WSA is licensed by the user count of your company. You're on the honor system to buy what you should have. There is no mechanism to track or stop access if you go over your license. Connections is just that, connections. When a web browser opens 10 or 15 connections to grab a web page, you cant count that as "users"...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks Ken, that was my gut feeling on this I just wasn't 100% sure.

... and in a public access guest environment where you just don't know how many users to expect you just have to take a reasonable guess based on good faith...