Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows Host file entries not being picked up

jhedges02
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a cloud solution which is upgrading.  I need to connect to the new system to test everything works OK.  The way I need to do this is to add a couple of entries to the windows host file.

They have been entered and when not using scansafe I can connect OK, however when I switch on my hosted PAC file I am directed to the current ipaddress not the updated one in the host file.

PAC file is set to go direct for this web address.

I susoect what is happening is that scansafe is using dns entries rather than windows host file, is there anyway I can use the test ip address?

Jo

1 Reply 1

Vance Kwan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When going direct, you wouldn't be using ScanSafe at all.  So it would read your local host file and access the internal site using your internal IP.  It sounds as if when you are using a PAC file, the local host file is not being read.

Checked this article:

http://superuser.com/questions/30197/how-do-i-get-ie-to-use-my-hosts-file-when-using-a-proxy-pac-file

You may also want to take a look into other workarounds such as allowing the traffic to U-turn back into your network after it reaches the outside (NAT Loopback)?

Overriding the DNS response at your local DNS server so that it responds with the internal IP rather than using the host file is another possible option.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: