Views
Helpful
Replies

WSA and regular expressions

icemoom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help, I'm trying to whitelist a specific URL via a regular expression but it doesn't appear to be working, for example the URL string is:

vimeo.com/videoexamples/

I don't want to allow access to all Vimeo videos hence the regular expression, I did just try adding it to the sites list but it doesn't appear to like anything with paths so I created the regular expression:

vimeo\.com.videoexample.

The dots meaning to represent any character (/ in this case), I did try with / but this also does not work.

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Ross

4 Replies 4

is there a reason that you require blocking access to a specific directory on a website instead of the entire website?

As for the regex your example does not fully match as the last wildcard matches the s and does not include the last character /

vimeo\.com.videoexample.

This would match the regex you are looking for, but if I am not mistaken what you are trying to do is not possible.  

vimeo\.com\/videoexamples\/

The custom URL category is based on the hostname/domain/FQDN and not the full query which would include the directory.  

The custom URL category would allow you to match for a specific host and not for a specific file/directory on a host.  

Have you tried it in the WSA Sandbox before committing changes? Or on a RegEx sandbox? That should let you test different Regular Expressions before you either whitelist that specific url, of course depending on it's heirarchy, before also trying to blacklist all others except that particular video.

I would highly recommend communique with John Hess, my WSA go to Guru :D     It sounds like you may be trying to whitelist a lower sub-domain under the same domain that has been blacklisted, but John can review with you and say for sure via a webex screensharing session    :D

Try the following:

\vimeo\.com/videoexamples
\.vimeo\.com/videoexamples

opryluts
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ross,

It is possible and there is a Youtube example how to do that - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/web-security-appliance/118130-configure-wsa-00.html

For the sample URL vimeo.com/videoexamples/ the regex would be:

vimeo\.com/videoexamples/

www\.vimeo\.com/videoexamples/

But also keep in mind that it might be a landing URL and some HTTP redirects happen after that request. So you need to analyze the full video play flow and add required 3rd party URLs as well to allow the video to play. Use developer tools in Firefox/Chrome to see what other URL are required for that video.

Searching on the internet I can see that at least those 2 extra domains must be allowed:

player.vimeo.com
vimeocdn.com

And last but not least - you have to do HTTPS inspection for the video related traffic. Otherwise, it's not gonna work.

Please vote if you find it helpful.