Views
Helpful
Replies

WSA upgrade from 12.0 to 12.5 in VM

REJR77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I see on the release notes that S300V in AsyncOS 12.5 now requires 12G of RAM and 5 CPU, whereas in 12.0 it was 8G of RAM and 4CPU.

Considering an upgrade in 12.5, should I just power off the 12.0 VM, update the HW prerequisites and upgrade to 12.5?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe that work by increasing the resources as i know, the OVA configured to use certain resources, it will not recognise any new add resources.

You need to build another vWSA 12.5  Offline with more resource and Lift and shift the config, in the maintenance window, turn off OLD vWSA and bring up  the new vWSA and test, make sure your OLD vWSA  still offline, until you see new vWSA stable working as expecting before you decomm the VM.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe that work by increasing the resources as i know, the OVA configured to use certain resources, it will not recognise any new add resources.

You need to build another vWSA 12.5  Offline with more resource and Lift and shift the config, in the maintenance window, turn off OLD vWSA and bring up  the new vWSA and test, make sure your OLD vWSA  still offline, until you see new vWSA stable working as expecting before you decomm the VM.

BB

I'd open a TAC case to be sure, but if I remember correctly this actually the one time that you CAN bump up the VM and it will see it, because its expecting to see the extra CPU and RAM.
Normally, it won't see it, and you'd have to deploy a C300v instead of a C100V, for example.

Hi,

Yes from the documentation we can see that we can update RAM and CPU for M and C appliances at least.... but not sure for S

I will open a TAC case for confirmation

RD77_0-1636111791121.png

As i mentioned my earlier post, never had myself success with Virtual for sure(in my lab testing).

BB

Hello RD77

did you get a response from Cisco tac ?

do you need to reinstall new proxy VM to upgrade from 12.0 to 12.5 considering it needs more cpu/ram in 12.5 ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Guillaume

No.
Upgrade.
Then shutdown and bump the ram and cpu.
Restart.

I found my notes from the beta.

Hi Guillaume,

From the TAC point of view:

Hello team, I hope you are doing well, and sorry about the late response, I received your last Email Please note, I have done a research I can see that if you want to increase the CPU and the RAM you will need to redeploy the virtual machine,

Maybe testing is the good way to go. 

yes that is what we suggested before, anything we learning dynamic change still take it please let us know so we can learn lessons based on the input. if any one tried this before ?

BB

Yes, I have done this, in the beta.  You can add the RAM and 1 cpu that 12.x wants. You do have to stay within that one model's specs

E.g. You CANNOT move from a S100v to S300v or 300 to 600 this way. THAT requires deploying a new VM.

Yes. I was in the the beta. You can add the RAM and 1 cpu that 12.x wants. You have to stay within that one model's specs

You CANNOT move from a S100v to S300v or 300 to 600 this way. THAT requires deploying a new VM.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: