Views
Helpful
Replies

Users cannot start the video conference themselves

StiftungTSG
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,
We have a Webex starter account at work. Normally, we administrators set up the dates requested by the users for video conferences. 
The users then receive the invitations by email and can then join the sessions, logging in as a guest (the sessions will still run
with the permissions of the starter account). Most of the time this works quite well. Sometimes (roughly every 20th-30th meeting) it
happens that all participants receive a message that the meeting begins as soon as the host enters. The host is always the person
who planned the session (i.e. me as admin) or a co-host designated by him. This means I then have to log in with the account with
which the session was planned, then I have to log in and then the session begins. I can then log out again straight away. This apparently means that for most sessions, Webex automatically designates a co-host (then the participants can start the video
conference alone) and for a few sessions it doesn't (then I have to manually "trigger" the start of the conference). Does anyone
know why the start usually works, but sometimes you have to “help”? Well, the video conferences in our company repeat at regular intervals, so you only have to set them up once a year and set when
the appointment should repeat (e.g. once a month). An employee told me that the problem described occurs every time on certain
appointments, but on other appointments everything always works. So as a test, I compared the options set for the relevant sessions
in the calendar, but I couldn't find any differences. How do these differences come about?

2 Replies 2

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

I'm not real familiar with the issue you've mentioned but since you said you have a Starter Account, but this could be related to the number of meetings that have been held by a user that doesn't have a host license and noone with a host license joined the meeting.  There might also be an issue with the number of meetings one person that doesn't have a host account has been the host for or how many concurrent meetings there might be.   You may have to open a Support Case the next time it happens to get a definitive answer for the issue.

Response Signature

I have already opened a support case, but even there they are pretty clueless. The employees there have been given several meeting IDs: those where everything was ok and those where the problem described occurred. There were no differences in the meeting settings.

The differences between the various Webex license models are mainly the maximum duration of a session, the maximum number of participants and the number of simultaneous sessions. It is irrelevant for the participants if they all log in as guests, as the properties of the session are determined by the license held by the person who scheduled the session.

What irritates me so much about this is the fact that it seems to be completely independent of whether a participant has a host license or not. Everyone can log in as a guest and still start the session several times without any problems and then there are problems again. Of course, we could instruct our own users to simply log in with our host license so that the session starts correctly in any case. However, it is questionable what happens if several employees log in with the same account at the same time.