cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with model 8851 phones

hammond
Level 1
Level 1

Three of the five Model 8851 Cisco VoIP phones in one of our administration departments at our University started to experience a problem. This started around August 21, 2024. Previous to that, no problems. 

The problem is these three VoIP phones will randomly re-boot when on a call. The person is on-hold when the phone comes back up. A user stated she noticed this occurred more frequently when putting an in-coming call on hold.

Any suggestions why this is happening?

I did look at the forums and there was a problem reported very similar to this that had to do with a firmware update which was installed around this time, but no solution was given.

5 Replies 5

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You mentioned that the issues has occurred following a firmware update - have you tried downgrading a phone to the older version to see if that resolves it, and points to the firmware as the issue?  Or have you tried a newer firmware to see if that helps resolve the problem?

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@hammond wrote:
The problem is these three VoIP phones will randomly re-boot when on a call. The person is on-hold when the phone comes back up. A user stated she noticed this occurred more frequently when putting an in-coming call on hold.

Description sounds like the phones have hit a bug and crashes.  

If it is possible to video record this event from happening and pass the recorded video to the people who manages the phone system for troubleshooting.

I do not foresee being able to record it because it happens randomly. It may be fine for 4 or 5 hours, then glitch, and then be fine for a random amount of time.
Also, I am the person who manages the phone system. I have seen it happen. I do not know why it is and that is why I was asking for more learned, experienced peoples knowledge.
We also have a company who assists with the administration of the phone system. When I asked them about this issue, they told me to contact Cisco about it.
How can I enter a work order with Cisco to have them look into and troubleshoot this?
Thank you.
Brian

@hammond wrote:
A user stated she noticed this occurred more frequently when putting an in-coming call on hold.

Could try this and see if it is reproduceable.  

You could pull debug information from the phone. This would most likely be more useful then a video for TAC. You can find directions on how to do this here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/collaboration-endpoints/ip-phone-8851/218093-configure-debug-level-in-mpp-phones-regi.pdf