cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Meeting Integration, Meeting Participant and Meeting ID

jozanini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello, is there a way for a meeting participant (not the meeting host), who has granted an integration permission to make api calls through the OAuth 2 grantflow, to get a meeting ID of the meeting they are attending? as of now, only the meeting host can produce a meeting id and I am curious how an integration can get the meeting ID on behalf of a meeting participant in a combined embedded app and integration scenario.

6 Replies 6

I'd like to explore this further, as this is exactly what I am trying to do. I use /v1/meetings?meetingType=meeting&state=inProgress&participantEmail=<current_user_email_addr> to try to find information about the meeting the user is currently participating in. The current user is the person who granted permission for the webex integration, with scope including meeting:schedules_read spark:people_read. If the current user is the host of the meeting, this works as I expect, with meeting information in the response. However, if the user is a cohost or just a plain participant, the API response has an empty list with no meeting information.

Is this really by design, for the API to deny this information to a cohost or participant? It makes no sense to me, because the webex app itself is providing a whole bunch of this information to the non-host participant anyway, for example in the meeting information menu item and the participant list. If the non-host user can get all this information through the webex app anyway, why can't the user get this information through a webex API integration?

Is there some other way my webex integration app can get the equivalent meeting information that is already exposed to the user through the webex app itself?

As a concrete example, my app needs to get the meeting's sipAddress or meeting URL value. The non-host participant can see these values in the webex app meeting information menu, so I expect my app should be able to get this same information through a webex API integration, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Please help, thanks.

We reached out to engineering about this. The participantEmail parameter is no longer supported and will be removed from the documentation soon. Regarding the coHost being able to see an inProgress meeting that they are the coHost of but have not joined yet, that is not possible via the API at this time. I would suggest opening a feature request via https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ with your use case so a product manager can review for future consideration.

Our production app uses the participantEmail parameter. Are you saying the production webex API is already ignoring this parameter, so it doesn't matter what the value is?

Maybe I wasn't clear about what my app needs. I need a way to get some basic information about the in progress meeting the current user is in (regardless of host status). I believe if my app has the meeting ID value, then I can get the information I need. But the problem is I can't find any way for my app to get the meeting ID.

The human user already has all this information through the webex app itself, so it seems to me there should be no security issue at all to allow an app to get this information through the webex API.

Mark

That's correct, the participantEmail parameter is already being ignored. Engineering has open requests with the doc team to have the parameter removed from the docs completely as well as a change log entry indicating this but due to the Cisco annual shutdown they haven't been completed yet but should get done after the new year.

An attendee or coHost can see the schedule details for a meeting via the API but unless they have joined the meeting they won't see the meeting instance details for the inProgress meeting when querying by meetingType=meeting and state=inProgress, they'd have to be joined into the meeting for the meeting instance details to be returned.

If you just list meetings without defining any query parameters then the scheduling details should be returned. This should work for any one invited to the meeting, attendee or coHost. meetingType will default to meetingSeries if nothing is defined. You could also define scheduledMeeting for meetingType and that should also return the scheduling details. This should return everything they can see in the Webex client.

Jeff,

Thank you for the suggestions, I will try it.

Will this work for in-progress "ad hoc" personal room meetings, and instant meetings (started from a webex space), without being scheduled in advance? Or are you saying the user can find information only for meetings that are scheduled in advance?

Raffaele Lagana
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only the host or a full admin user from the org the meeting is hosted in, can make the request to the /meetings APIs.

If you are a full admin in that org you can get all meetings hosted in the org, you just need to add the hostEmail parameter to the request.