Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring firewall to allow webex SIP traffic

I have a cisco and non cisco videoconferencing stations and i need to join a SIP webex meeting, so I need to allow some ports from my firewall to ensure it will smoothly join the webex meeting using SIP, as it is not joining currently. So thanks for your support.

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The main thing is not to use NAT; the endpoint’s IPv4 address and RTP port will be embedded in the application layer payload. Alternatively, you can try SIP & RTP Protocol Inspection, if the call is unencrypted, but that tends to be unreliable.

As for ports to open: if using SIP TCP you should be able to get by with allowing established sessions for outbound calls (inbound won’t work unless SIP is opened to the endpoint - and I wouldn’t recommend that; you’ll get a lot of malicious calls.) You’ll also need to allow whatever the RTP range the endpoint is configured for; check the relevant documentation.

If this answer is unappealing you may want to consider Cisco Expressway as a SIP registrar/proxy. Firewall traversal is it’s primary purpose for existing. Or Webex Cloud Device Registration - which would allow the Cisco endpoint to natively join a Webex Meeting (not SIP).