Views
Helpful
Replies

Export chat history

epet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,
is there currently any way to export the chat history from a (personal, 1:1) Webex chat? I found one older thread where someone asked this in 2018, but a) there were no useful answers and b) the software has obviously changed a lot in the meantime.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution
7 Replies 7

rogittin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

<CTRL A>, <CTRL> + right click mouse, click 'Copy selected messages'

Ah yes, thanks! Don't know why I did not find that. Although the answer is depressing, it is an answer.

I also have to "learn" that at Cisco every product is made with "enterprise-requirements" in mind.
In such business-envirmonments the CISO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_information_security_officer) usually does not want employees to export (= leak) data.

But for further growth Cisco will need to address small- and medium-sized businesses also.
This may perhaps require to rethink the security-design for products that are (somewhat) B2C...

Yes, I already assumed that it was somehow intentional that there is no
simple export function. but I have say that I find it a bit weird - I still
*do* have access to all of this information via the normal interface, so if
I'm bored enough or write a simple script to do it for me, I can still
export all of that information, anyway. to me, this smells a bit like
"security through obscurity".

Anyway, for me this is really a major drawback. I'm leading lots of pretty
deep discussions about technical stuff with colleagues over Webex, and not
being able to export the chat log is really annoying. Essentially the
consequence is that I now need to keep a separate log using another program
to keep track of important discussions / information.

In this case you and your project-members may perhaps want to find a common "annotation"-tool?
Something which is intended to collect/log and share information?
You may continue to meet in Webex but put the essence of information into a shared (?) container.
(since I don´t know any details of your requirements this suggestion may perhaps completeley miss the point, sorry it that´s the case...)

from my pov: Webex (like any other such tool) is made to exchange messages.
Messages usually have a short lifetime since they age quickly.
I guess 90% of the old eMail-Message in an average User-Mailbox are outdated because a ton of newer information to the same topic has arrived in the meantime..

My p.o.w is that Webex and MS Teams (and the like) finally bring shape and focus to essential debates (no matter how deep)  that people typically get lost in and forget about quickly in email environment, though many are so fanatic about their email workflows they just can't leave behind:-), even love to send long emails (me failing occasionally at this too). So if there are topics where debate result/status must be readily available, these new platforms are best for it. Just give every thread a concise name... and the least, instruct the people check this place first! Right before originating new email chain on topic debated 2 months ago...

I'm at my 45 still comfortable with changing of my professional comm habits, but can't imagine to adapt to yet something new evolving in this area. Surely it's on its way already :-).