cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to fully exit Webex app when done with a meeting

TobyNixon
Level 1
Level 1

I attend Webex meetings several times a week. When I leave a meeting, I want the Webex app to fully exit and not stay running in the background. I do not want it to pop open a calendar showing me other meetings (which I never voluntarily gave it access to anyway), and I do not want it to have ghost apps showing up in my Alt-Tab list! But I cannot figure out how to configure Webex to completely exist upon leaving a meeting.  These turd apps in lays around are super annoying! Is there any magic, such as a registry key I can set, to force it to fully exit? Or do I just need to keep going to Task Manager to kill it entirely?

6 Replies 6

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@TobyNixon 

to quit the Webex(-Teams)-Client or the Webex-Meetings-Client, you may use the right mousebutton:

grafik.png

grafik.png

This doesn't close the background tasks. After I leave a Webex meeting,
there are FIVE separate tasks still showing in Task Manager, including,
apparently, one that is snooping in my calendar, which I don't want Webex to
do. I want Webex to FULLY shut down, including all background tasks, not
just close the visible app window!

I had the same issue, and Webex would not give up control of my microphone preventing me from using my Cisco softphone.

I wrote a little batch file to handle this, it also removes the run at startup reg key.

If you find another process that needs to be killed, just add using the same syntax.

Prompts that you actually want to run this file, then prompts a second time to delete the startup registry key.

Use with care, but all of these things will be back the next time you start Webex.

Copy into a text file, rename .txt to .bat and run:

echo off
echo press any key to kill Webex. press CTRL + C to exit.
pause
Rem Webex Collaboration Helper (32 bit)
taskkill /im webexmta.exe"/F
Rem Kill Cisco Webex Service
taskkill /im atmgr.exe /F
REM kill Cisco Webex Meetings
taskkill /im ptoneclk.exe /F
Rem Kill Cisco Webex Meetings (32 bit)
taskkill /im webexHost.exe /F
Rem Kill Cisco Webex Meetings Desktop Application
taskkill /im ptOIEx64.exe /F
Rem kill Cisco Webex Meetings App Service
taskkill /im ptsrv.exe /F
Rem Delete login startup key
reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v CiscoMeetingDaemon
pause

@TobyNixon 

If you are that much worried about.. privacy(?) you may perhaps also want to consider not using Windows10 at all.. or MacOS.. or iOS or Android.. or any Cloud-Service.. I guess.

Perhaps using the Web-Version of Webex is an option for you?  web.webex.com

Up to a certain point I do understand your POV since I still refuse to "downgrade" from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro on my private Computer because of all that spying Microsoft built into W10. But I also do know, that we - as a society - may perhaps have already passed the point of no return...

jvollmer
Level 1
Level 1

It's a two step process:

Select cog wheel -> Sign out -> Sign-in window will open -> Select cog wheel -> Exit.

I've checked my task manager, it's no longer running in background when I do those steps to close the desktop app.

Roray Stewart
Spotlight
Spotlight

I'm not aware of a way to have it fully exit when you leave a meeting but you can exit the app by clicking the cog wheel top right of the app of right clicking it in the system tray.

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.