Views
Helpful
Replies

Mute all participants while sharing content full screen

Kerrie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are using Webex Meetings to host small webinars (up to 40 participants). The presenter likes everyone to have their video on but mic muted, and of course people can't be trusted and inevitably turn them on (either on purpose or accidentally) after entering on mute.

We found yesterday while sharing a powerpoint presentation there was no way to access the Participant menu (not the panel) while doing this, it's only possible if you stop sharing to return to the meeting screen.

Is there a faster or easier way to mute all WITHOUT exiting sharing, other than going down the list of participants and muting them? I can't see a way to do this on the panel but maybe I'm just missing it.

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5

panderson25
Level 1
Level 1

I sometimes join a second time, with an iPad or other computer.  From the second device I can watch chat or set options.  This is easier now with the cohost role.  Also, in October, the ability to keep attendees from unmuting is coming.

Cole Callahan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi Kerrie,

Thanks for posting your question in the Webex Community. Glad to have you here!

I tested this on my computer and I see exactly what you mean. Because presenter mode in Powerpoint takes up your whole screen, the Participant tab goes away, taking away your power to mute all the participants.

There isn't necessarily an easier or faster solution here, but I do recommend at the start of the webinar muting all the participants and ask them from the beginning to stay on mute during the presentation. You can even use the chat tab and send a reminder to mute their audio. Of course, this only does so much for you.

When you run a webinar, I assume it is not just on your own. If that is the case, I recommend passing the host role to whoever is assisting you to manage the event, so they can manage to mute anyone or all participants during your presentation.

I hope this helps. If you have any follow up questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do all I can to help you get the answers you need. Have a great day!

Response Signature

Hi Cole,

Given you 'noticed' the problem as well - have you added to the queue of features to add in a future Webex release?   Seems a big deficiency.     While presenting there is the top menu, which has an ellipsis already - perhaps the basics like 'must all' and 'turn off entry and exit tone' could be added to this menu?   

Thanks

Please read "Allow Participants to Unmute Themselves" coming in 40.10 release.
https://help.webex.com/en-us/xcwws1/What-s-New-for-the-Latest-Channel-of-Webex-Meetings

Response Signature

Hi @JohnMcLachlan87015 ,

Great question/suggestions! Being the Community Manager, I don't have the direct privilege to add items to future Webex updates. However, the Webex Community does have a User Community Feedback Portal, where customers and partners alike can submit and vote for product ideas that go directly to our Product team for consideration. There is an open idea for being able to mute all, you can vote on it here - https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas/WXCUST-I-105. By voting, you will receive instant email updates when/if the status of the idea changes.

I recommend all on this thread add their vote to the idea to add emphasis to the need.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Response Signature