cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WebEx App for Windows updates not updating Windows Registry

JonathanWhite
Level 1
Level 1

My WebEx application installed on my Windows 11 domain PC and the install date and version under "Apps / Installed Apps" shows my initial install date and version that was installed then. "WebEx Help / Check for updates" shows I am running the current version.

WHY does the app update after the initial installation not reflect in Windows the version nor the installation date the update was installed?

Because of this, we can't systemically determine what version of WebEx is on what PC.

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is expected behavior. The Webex app only writes to that registry key at initial install time since it requires admin permissions to write. Updates are installed under %LOCALAPPDATA%\CiscoSparkLauncher of the logged in user and referenced by CiscoCollabHost.exe at runtime. This also means that an update performed while user A is logged in does nothing for user B - so think about that on shared workstations.

Options:

1. Use the version.txt file in that folder to see the current version of the app package for the logged in user.
  2. Use the reports in Webex Control Hub to see who has an out of date app package.
  3. Preempt the in-app updater process by pushing the new MSI, triggering a new registry write.

You may also want to watch the session recording from Cisco Live session BRKCOL-2198 Deploying the Webex App to your Organization.