cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex for macOS v42.10.6.12 holds mic open (use ultrasound disabled)

JonInVA
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I've noticed that Webex for macOS v42.10.6.12 is holding my microphone open DESPITE "use ultrasound" being disabled in settings.

Notably, when I close Webex entirely the microphone is still open. At the command line, I note only the "Cisco Webex Start" and "Meeting Center" processes still running:

sudo pgrep -i "cisco"
503 23493 1 0 11:57AM ?? 0:00.44 /Users/jon/Library/Application Support/WebEx Folder/Add-ons/Cisco WebEx Start.app/Contents/MacOS/Cisco WebEx Start -daemon 1 -from teams
503 23520 1 0 11:57AM ?? 0:04.03 /Users/jon/Library/Application Support/WebEx Folder/T33_64UMC_42.10.6.12/Meeting Center.app/Contents/MacOS/Meeting Center -AppInstallPath /Users/jon/Library/Application Support/WebEx Folder/T33_64UMC_42.10.6.12 -CWSToken xxxxxx -LaunchedBy /Users/jon/Library/Application Support/WebEx Folder/Add-ons/Cisco WebEx Start.app -LogFilePath /Users/jon/Library/Logs/Webex Meetings/cws/daemon/wbxtra_cwsd_20221103_115730.wbt -GPCLocalSetting 1 -channel c42e6fb0 -job standby -GPCLocalSetting 1 -SupportInMeetingUpdate 1 -CWSMessagePortName com.cisco.webex.Cisco-WebEx-Start.23493

I'm going to try a full uninstall / reinstall of anything even remotely named "Webex" and report back, but this seems like a bug of some kind.

4 Replies 4

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @JonInVA ,

Just curious - have you upgraded to Ventura (macOS v13.x) or are you still running Monterey (mocOS v12.x)?
The selfish reason I ask is because I was about to do the upgrade, then read this - and @EdmondsM12 's comment about "latest version of macOS" and this article about raspberry pi problems with Ventura, and so I'm thinking I might hold off for a while.

Oh - and do you have a M1 or Intel chip mac? (Mine's an M1)

And don't you love the history that commands like pgrep reveal, with names like WebEx and Cisco Spark showing up in spite of the product changing names form "WebEx" to "Cisco Webex" (no uppercase E) about 10 years ago, and Spark being absorbed into Webex about 2018? 

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Still running macOS 12.6.1, on an Intel based MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018).

IT won't let me upgrade to Ventura quiet yet.

EdmondsM12
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi JonInVA, 

I have been dealing with this for several months now.  I am told it is not a bug on Webex Side, it is how the latest version of Mac OS is handling this.  The uninstall will not resolve the issue in my experience.  

Uninstall / reinstall (even nuking leftover directories and plist files with find / -iname "*webex*") had zero effect.

One of those two background processes just will not let the microphone revert to an inactive state.