cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex not showing chat or user avatars

rpp2119
Level 1
Level 1

My webex updated about a week ago and, since then, I have no option to view the group chat in any meetings. I also am not seeing anyone's avatars when their video is off (just the grey circle with their initials).

I also notice that whenever I connect to a meeting, it plays the sound of a phone ringing, which I don't think used to happen.

Can anyone tell me what is happening? I really need to access the chat function in my meetings. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

rpp2119
Level 1
Level 1

Apparently, the Webex app doesn't give chat options (??). I had to install Webex Meetings. But then I couldn't launch Webex Meetings directly from my browser. I had to tell my browser to launch Webex Start, which opens Webex Meetings and gives me the chat button.

Pretty convoluted workflow, if you ask me!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

rpp2119
Level 1
Level 1

Apparently, the Webex app doesn't give chat options (??). I had to install Webex Meetings. But then I couldn't launch Webex Meetings directly from my browser. I had to tell my browser to launch Webex Start, which opens Webex Meetings and gives me the chat button.

Pretty convoluted workflow, if you ask me!

What browser are you using? You may want to check the proxy as well.

Are you a government customer by chance? Our users experienced something similar to what you described and it turns out that after a recent Webex upgrade, when users clicked to join their meeting from the outlook invite it would launch the Webex Teams meeting client vs. the Webex Meetings desktop app like it normally does and when the meeting is started the chat panel and user custom avatars are missing. Had the Webex meetings app launched instead everything would have been normal. As a workaround, we instructed the users to join the meeting from the Webex Meetings desktop app instead of the outlook invite until we determine what is going on. Cisco TAC is slow to work the case unfortunately and we still have some users impacted.

Can you elaborate on what you meant by telling your browser to launch Webex Start? What is your default browser? Thanks in advance.