cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

With Rahul Pal, Arpit Menaria and Krishna Kishore 

Welcome to this Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about evolution of long-term evolution (LTE) and the future with experts Rahul Pal, Krishna Kishore, and Arpit Menaria.

LTE, commonly marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals. It is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using a different radio interface together with core network improvements. The standard is developed by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP).

Rahul Pal is a customer support engineer based in Bangalore, India. He has seven years of experience in the field of GPRS/UMTS/LTE technologies specializing in R&D and customer support. Rahul has worked with multiple vendors such as Nortel, NSN, and now Cisco, gaining expertise in packet core products such as SGSN and MME. Rahul has also worked as an escalation engineer handling customer escalations (technical troubleshooting and handling customer management). Rahul also has international experience of working directly with telco customers in the United States, Europe, and APAC and holds an engineering degree in information technology.

Krishna Kishore is currently working as a customer support engineer based in Bangalore, India, focusing on ASR5000/ASR5500, SAMI, and HWIC products providing support to 3G/4G mobility solutions deployed across the world. He has more than eight years of experience in mobility technologies such as GPRS/UMTS/LTE/CDMA, with experience in development and customer support. Krishna has worked with multiple vendor platforms such as Nortel, Hitachi, NSN, and Cisco. He holds a bachelor's degree in electrical and electronics engineering and CCNA certification. 

Arpit Menaria  is a customer support engineer based in Bangalore, India. He has been with the Cisco TAC for the past two and a half years (since July 2013) and has worked in FTS and TAC roles. Throughout his seven and half years of industry experience, he's worked for Ericsson and Tata Communications getting exposed to the telecom and Internet service provider environment. His technical skills span mobility, routing, switching, Linux, and Solaris. He has CCIE certification in routing and switching (written), RHCE, and WWSP mobility expert (written). Arpit also holds an engineering degree in electronics from the Indian Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindi University of Varanasi. 

Remember to use the rating system to let Rahul, Krishna and Arpit know if you have received an adequate response. 

Our experts might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation in Wireless - Mobility,  sub-community Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through March 14, 2014. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

3 Comments

Hi guys,

can you please check what happened with all questions and your great answers before complete site was upgraded? I'm also waiting on answer to my last question.

Thanks,

Tenaro

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tenaro,

We apologize for the inconvenience.  Please check this link for the discussion with answers.  I will let the experts know that your question still needs to be answered.  

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12126741/ask-expert-demystifying-long-term-evolution 

Thank you for your patience during our transition to a new website experience.

Kind Regards,

Ciscomoderator

Telco Geek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys!

Now when we have two links I'm not sure what is the best way to reach you so I'm posting my question on both sides :) Here it goes:

Just by checking basic ASR5x00 Doc Set, I can easily find many other elements that are totally unknown to me; I'm talking here about abbreviations such as HeNB-GW, eWAG, IPSG, MVG or SCM. Any chance you can provide us with some high level overview of all these elements/functions? Is there maybe some picture/scheme/topology_diagram that displays all elements together?

I tried to read docs available on CCO but it is too technical for me, I first need some bigger picture, reason why these elements are created.

I'll be happy even with the partial answers, if you don't like all abbreviations I mentioned, just pick up your favourite one and give us some comment you think is useful. For example, what is the purpose of HeNB-GW element, can you give us real life example that led to creation of HeNB-GW? Same goes for eWAG, I know it has something to do with WiFi and how to offload 3G/4G network but I don't know what unique function it performs that can't be done on MME/SGW/PGW?

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

French webcast-routing