cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HTTPS is not being allowed on "guest" vlan of a WAP321

m.dansereau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.  I'm Mike and not too long ago I got 2 WAP321 devices for two separate retail locations of mine.  The idea was to use the WAP321 to create a staff vlan, password protected, on 24/7, and a guest vlan that uses the captive portal, a shared guest ID (I wanted it without a password, but cannot do so - that's for another time) and has timed access (avail 9-5, M-F).

I've set this up using the wizard and other tools available to me, but the issue is that when guests try to access any HTTPS site, they get a "The certificate for this server is invalid.  You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be "domain.com" which could be putting your confidential information at risk." 

The WAP321 does sit behind a firewall, but even with all of the security on that firewall made as lax as possible, the issue still occurs.  If I put a simple wi-fi access point device (e.g. a LinkSys EA4500), it works without a hitch.  But I got the WAP321 specifically for these sites namely b/c I wanted to offer free wifi during store hours with simple log-in and a controlled vlan just for them.

I am at a loss on how to resolve this. 

Thoughts, anyone?

3 Replies 3

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

Hello

if you wanted to provide guest internet access without bothering users with entering password, why are you using Captive Portal? :) Simply disable it and every user will reach internet without password and probably without strange https redirection you mentioning.

You can check/open that invalid certificate to see if this is certificate from WAP321 unit itself (and issue caused by some undesired redirection).

This HTTPS redirection can be caused by Captive portal instance configuration where you probably have "HTTPS" protocol and checked "Redirect".

but this is just my assumption...

The portal is used b/c it ensures all users agree to a terms-of-use agreement before logging on.  It was one of the main reasons why I got these WAP321 devices in the first place.  Now I really regret my purchase.

I don't have the HTTPS redirection enabled.

If you wanted to have CaptivePortal enabled because of terms-of-use (which I understand), why you did not select "Verification" to "Guest"? Hope this settings mean, that no authentication will be needed for connected users, just portal page will be displayed for once user connects to wifi.

two more thing - have you tried to look into that invalid certificate details to ensure that it is sourced from WAP? (it should be mentioned in subject field or somewhere else).