cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Purchasing SmartNet support in the UK.

Alucidnation
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, so i've have taken the advice of many on here and will go for an AIR-AP2702i-UX-WLC.

So, with that in mind, where/how can a purchase a 12 month support for the kits?

Ive had a brief look around and its not easy to find here on the Cisco Uk website.

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Also, can the support contract for the WLC be purchased directly from Cisco?

Whoever will sell you the APs & controller can, optionally, sell you the SNT.  As a matter of fact, the seller would be aggressively selling you SNT. 

As to the cost, it will depend entirely on what SNT package you want, how fast (4 hours, 8 hours, 8 hours next business day, etc), software download, TAC support, etc.  There's a lot of mind-boggling combination.

View solution in original post

As the product and SNT will come from separate suppliers, would this still be ok?

The most important thing is to ensure the ALL the serial numbers (APs and WLC) are "registered" to a series of Service Contract(s) & the Service Contract(s) are attached to your CCO login.  

I've seen vendors who don't (care or) pay attention and the serial number(s) are attached to someone else's Service Contract.  

The best thing to do is when the equipment arrives, double check the details.  Log into your CCO login account and verify the Service Contract(s).  Next, send an email to tac@cisco.com and attach all the serial numbers (those with & without SNT) and get Cisco Entitlements Team to verify the accuracy.  Only then will you be assured everything is done right.  

Long process but you cannot risk one day opening a TAC Case only to be told that the serial number(s) you've enclosed are registered to, for example, James Bond in the Bahamas. 

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
So, with that in mind, where/how can a purchase a 12 month support for the kits?

Depends on your priority and budget.  

I have >5K APs and none of them have maintenance contract.  Why not?  Because all the APs, particularly from the 1140 all the way to the latest ones, are all covered under Cisco Limited Lifetime Warranty.  This means as a user of the equipment, all I have to do is prove to Cisco Entitlements Team that I am the end-user and the replacement AP can be shipped to be after 10 Business Day.  If the APs are important, one can always store one or two APs for swap-out.  This scheme is far superior to getting APs in a maintenance contract. 

The most important part of the setup to require maintenance contract is the WLC.  Get hardware replacement, software download and TAC support.  This will benefit you.

NOTE:  When you create a TAC case to replace the AP, Cisco Entitlements Team will make it a "challenge" to invoke Cisco Limited Lifetime Warranty.  Stand by your stance about the T&C with Cisco LLW and they'll cave.  I have been RMA-ing the APs this way since and I've yet to be denied.

Ok, so with that in mind I just need to purchase support for the wlc?

Also, should I be looking at a different kit designed for the uk?

After you pointed me in the direction of them, i chose the one that contained the ap's that I'm wanting to use.

thanks!

Ok, so with that in mind I just need to purchase support for the wlc?

Your call.  If I want to be smart with finance, I'd put SNT on the WLC and depend on the Cisco Limited Lifetime Warranty on the AP.  

Also, should I be looking at a different kit designed for the uk?

I don't understand this question.  Care to elaborate further?

A word of warning,  I am not recommend the new AP1800 with Cisco Mobility Express because, currently, CME has lesser feature and function to a full-blown WLC.

Hi Leo, please ignore the "UK Version" question -- not thinking properly!

And the AP's that will be used are the 2702i.

Also, can the support contract for the WLC be purchased directly from Cisco? I can't seem to find anything about costs etc.

Thanks.

Also, can the support contract for the WLC be purchased directly from Cisco?

Whoever will sell you the APs & controller can, optionally, sell you the SNT.  As a matter of fact, the seller would be aggressively selling you SNT. 

As to the cost, it will depend entirely on what SNT package you want, how fast (4 hours, 8 hours, 8 hours next business day, etc), software download, TAC support, etc.  There's a lot of mind-boggling combination.

Thanks Leo,

Much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

You are welcome!

I like to try and show appreciation as best i can when people go out of their way to help out.

Especially with a complete noob like me who has no idea about Cisco and their way of doing things.

No doubt, once set up, there will be many more (probably basic) questions i will need to ask!

:))

Edit: I forgot to add that i have found a UK based IT company that deal with Cisco support and they do a three year next day SmartNet for about Ā£250 + vat which i think is quite reasonable. Strangely, the actual supplier of the product don't make it easy to find on their website so i had to look elsewhere.

SNT comes in 12, 24 and 36 months.  

When you get your gear delivered, make sure all the serial numbers, particularly the WLC, is attached to a valid Service Contract.  You need to verify yourself by logging into your CCO account and confirm the Service Contract is under your name.  This is very important because a some vendors, once they get your money, they will somehow "forget". 

Ok thanks.

As the product and SNT will come from separate suppliers, would this still be ok?

I assume it is better for me to purchase the SNT once i have the products?

The most important thing is to ensure the ALL the serial numbers (APs and WLC) are "registered" to a series of Service Contract(s) & the Service Contract(s) are attached to your CCO login.  

I've seen vendors who don't (care or) pay attention and the serial number(s) are attached to someone else's Service Contract.  

The best thing to do is when the equipment arrives, double check the details.  Log into your CCO login account and verify the Service Contract(s).  Next, send an email to tac@cisco.com and attach all the serial numbers (those with & without SNT) and get Cisco Entitlements Team to verify the accuracy.  Only then will you be assured everything is done right.  

Long process but you cannot risk one day opening a TAC Case only to be told that the serial number(s) you've enclosed are registered to, for example, James Bond in the Bahamas. 

Understood and thanks!

Hi again,

I have just had a quote for a years Smartnet on the AIR-AP2702i-UX-WLC.

The product code for the support product is PMāˆ’STDāˆ’CONāˆ’SNTāˆ’SMSāˆ’1.

Could someone give me an idea on what this covers as i cant seem to find it anywhere on the Cisco site, and the supplier is now closed for the weekend.

Thanks.

Hi Alucidnation:

Can you confirm the Smartnet Contract ID?