Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on the CBW140 Business Mesh Starter Kit

I have a question on the Starter Kit CBW140 with one Access Point (CBW140AC-E Business Access Point) and two 142ACM Mesh Extender. 

If i would buy two of the Starter Kits. How would the APs work together ? And which of the devices would take the controll of the network and the Mesh Extenders. Do I need another Device ? 

for better Information:

I want to build a network with APs and Mesh-Devices with all the Same SSID and Passwort. So I dont need to switch beetween the SSIDS all the time. 

Sorry for bad Englisch i am a Student from Germany

thank you in advance 

Jonas 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello jonastest12398233,

The network deployment you are trying to achieve is absolutely attainable. You will need to start with mesh-deployment mode on your CBW140 where the CBW AP network will consist of Primary and Subordinate APs and wireless Mesh Extenders. It does not matter which CBW140 you'll pick from the starter kits, however, it will just need to be only one CBW140 powered up in the initial deployment set-up. Then you will need to add any other subordinate APs or mesh extenders (the other CBW140 and Mesh Extenders from the starter kit(s)). 

For Associating the wireless Mesh Extenders to the network, add the Ethernet MAC address of the Extenders in the local MAC address table of the Primary AP. Adding a new subordinate APs is quite an automated process, so you'll need just to plug the AP into the LAN in which the current Primary AP is connected and then the new AP will boot up, update its firmware to match the primary AP and then join the network. From that point on you can manage the whole CBW network from your Primary AP.

Please refer to the product administration guide for a detailed step-by-step configuration of the CBW network: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/CBW_Admin/Admin/en_US/b_Cisco_AP_Admin_Guide.pdf (Chapter 3, Getting Started)

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello jonastest12398233,

The network deployment you are trying to achieve is absolutely attainable. You will need to start with mesh-deployment mode on your CBW140 where the CBW AP network will consist of Primary and Subordinate APs and wireless Mesh Extenders. It does not matter which CBW140 you'll pick from the starter kits, however, it will just need to be only one CBW140 powered up in the initial deployment set-up. Then you will need to add any other subordinate APs or mesh extenders (the other CBW140 and Mesh Extenders from the starter kit(s)). 

For Associating the wireless Mesh Extenders to the network, add the Ethernet MAC address of the Extenders in the local MAC address table of the Primary AP. Adding a new subordinate APs is quite an automated process, so you'll need just to plug the AP into the LAN in which the current Primary AP is connected and then the new AP will boot up, update its firmware to match the primary AP and then join the network. From that point on you can manage the whole CBW network from your Primary AP.

Please refer to the product administration guide for a detailed step-by-step configuration of the CBW network: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/CBW_Admin/Admin/en_US/b_Cisco_AP_Admin_Guide.pdf (Chapter 3, Getting Started)

Thanks

Thank you for the fast answer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: