Views
Helpful
Replies

Small business router suggestion

rev_ollie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are looking into the possibility of putting in some public wireless access in the public areas of our organisation.

Its a fairly small building in terms of public access and it needs to span 3 rooms in total.

We have a spare BT line into the building - ADSL 2+ - and so will utilize that instead of putting them on our network. We would like to run some router based content filtering on the router - but would use open dns if this isn't possible.

I could do to find a good wireless router that will cover the 3 areas . Its not a large budget project as there isn't going to be very highly utilized.

We are looking Cisco kit - and have drawn up a few options.

Initially we were going to go with the 1140's - but these are access points and as per my understanding aren't going to work with the phone line - as it needs to be a wireless router.

The next area was the Linksys E series (E4200) - they do look really good, and they have the content filtering which we like. Does anyone know what the power and range of the E series is?

The only issue we might have is its a fairly old building and so some of the walls are pretty thick - one of which is wooden lined.

It has the 3x3 mimo antennas and so guess it would provide some pretty good range/power but It would be nice if someone might be able to back that up.

If the hardware is cheap enough then we may be able to setup the routers in repeater mode - however I'm not sure if the home devices can work that way? - I think max would be £300 - but that will be decided when I have some better numbers.

If anyone has any pointers on this it would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

The E4200 is actually one of our consumer products and we do not have alot of info on it here at the small business support center. I would direct you here for more detailed info: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/E4200

Thanks
Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
CCNA, CCNA-Wireless
1-866-606-1866