Views
Helpful
Replies

Antenna / Cable Question

m-briody
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings members,

I am about to deploy 2 APs with RM22A 5Ghz radio modules.

I am going to use the 5Ghz Antenna AIR-ANT5145V-R.

However, the cable that comes with it is only 90cm long, whereas I need a 3M cable, so I am going to get one made espescially.

So my question is this - Is the cable that comes with the Antenna permanently attached to it? Or does the antenna come with connectors that you can attach any cable to?

In other words, do I have to attach my bespoke cable to the cisco cable/antenna, or can I attach it to the antenna directly. This is not clear from the Cisco data sheets.

What connectors will I need on the ends of my cable (I am getting a 3M LMR600). Presumably RP-TNC?

Thanks for anyone's help.

Regards,

Martin.

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

It appears that the cables are included, but not permanently connected, so you can substitute longer cables.

Keep them as short as possible, 5Ghz is pretty lossy in coax. Using a different cable would be preferred (versus adding length to the existing cable) - each connection will add some loss.

Make sure they are well-constructed cables. Improper termination will kill the signal and could conceivably put yout final amplifiers at-risk.

The Docs say the antenna connectors on the antenna are RP-TNC, as are the connectors on the AP.

Here's the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/prod_installation_guide09186a0080338872.html

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: