Views
Helpful
Replies

antennas gain and RSSI

vdubovskaja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are using 1240 AP  and now have  changed antenna to 1728 (Gain 5.2dBi) to increase signal strength, but as show Wi-Fi scanner (inSSIDer)

RSSI stays the similar with old and new antennas.  

What's wrong? in AP configuration I changed diversity and external antennas gain.

Valentina

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Usually you increase the gain to increase the coverage area.  If your power level are the same, bor both the dipole and the 1728, then you might see some improvement further out.  Your really detecting what the client sees and various clients will show different RSSI.  The only really way to tell is if you can caputre the signal by using AirMagnet or any tool similar.  Then you can comapre signal, SNR, etc.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi, I have captured with inSSIDer and Xirrus: both programs show  similar results (pictures are attached). Signal strength was measured from one place and it should be higher with higher gain antenna (distance is about 1 m in these pictures, but similar results with longer distance). Should we some addtional configurations in AP - and where if yes?

(the highest blue line in both pictures with dipole and then 1728)

Valentina

You are taking readings pretty close to the AP. Your data rates are fine... You need to test further away from the AP. when using the dipole, walk out until the Rossi is -78 and then take readings from there with both type of antennas.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card