Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Arrays

Roger Alderman
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All

I've heard on the grapevine that Cisco has an AP that will work in a cluster with one of the APs working as a controller.

I haven't heard this at any PVT and can't find any information anywhere.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Regards

Roger                  

7 Replies 7

Chris Illsley
Level 3
Level 3

I think you are talking about mesha APs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns621/index.html

Thanks

Chris

I'm certainly not talking about Mesh.

This is where you can setup an array of APs and one of the APs acts as the controller. It is not dependent upon a controller such as a 5508. Aruba have something similar and Xirrus use AP arrays with an integrated controller.

It is definitely not Mesh!

This is where you can setup an array of APs and one of the APs acts as the controller. It is not dependent upon a controller such as a 5508. Aruba have something similar and Xirrus use AP arrays with an integrated controller.

Oh my.  You're not talking about WDS?

It's an autonomous IOS type where one AP is used as a "gateway".

This is painful!

No definitely not WDS or autonomous APs.

Look up Xirrus and see what they do - its the same principle. Think of it as a large box containing 4 APs (1 on each side) using directional antennas. Also in the box is a controller. The APs all have the ability to be a controller but only one of them is configured to be. Xirrus actually use a controller in the box, not within the AP.

Errr ... It's more sounding like a DA'S, distributed antenna system, which Cisco doesn't support.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

No its not distributed antennas either - that's a totally different concept.

This concept is obviously difficult to understand so I'll give up on this and go direct to Cisco.

Thanks anyway.

Roger,

Your question was rather open ended and you didnt mention or dispell mesh, wds or das. This is why I think the boy comments like they did.

As for you question, I think you anwsered your own question.

I haven't heard this at any PVT and can't find any information anywhere.

If this is indeed a technology, its surely is under NDA and won't be discussed here

If you have a NDA with Cisco, you should conntact your local Cisco rep.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin