cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP dropping out

GregUrbanowicz
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting 2 error codes and so far cannot figure out what they are and what to do. Here they are, I would appreciate any information as to where I can find the error message decodes or exactly what these two messages mean. I am not certified in CISCO, but have numerous other certs for Wi-Fi manufacturers...

Received TKIP Michael MIC failure from station xxxxxxxxx on the packet (TSC=0x0) encrypted and protected by pairwise key

Two received TKIP Michael MIC failures were detected within 20 seconds on DOT 11Radio0 interface. The interface will be put on MIC Failure mode for 60 seconds.

The AP is running bar code scanner guns that I MUST get back up asap, but the AP is dropping out and recovering after the 60 second stop!!!

Thanks,

Greg

gregurbanowicz@huntsvilleradio.net

4 Replies 4

GregUrbanowicz
Level 1
Level 1

Going to try updating drivers... WIll see if that helps...

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AP seeing MIC failure from station, it could be due to bad driver on the client.

Change security to WEP or WAP2-AES to avoid TKIP countermeasure or disable countermeasure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_11_JA/command/reference/cr11main.html#wp2532573

Thank you Saravanan - I'm not a big user of TKIP anyway, these came preconfigured from the corp office months ago and they finally gave me permissions to change configs - woohoo

Greg

Hi Greg,

Welcome to CSC. I only wanted to add, TKIP is part of the 802.11 standard. Other vendors likley support this as well. You can also turn this feature off and still keep TKIP enable on cisco gear. But like Saravanan mention your best bet is AES and AES doesnt use MICs so countermeasure doesnt come into play.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin