Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

capwap ap on hp switch

Hi all

Question:

Yesterday at costumer site i have convertet 6 Aps from Full IOS to Controller.

On the HP swicht (5604, sorry;-)) there was a trunk configured with 4 vlans...

after converting the APs to capwap i yust added the new vlan as untagged to the HP ports where the Aps are connected.

Everthing works fine, but today when costumer starts to work, these 6 Aps(1141), or the switchports? generates 2500 Broadcast/multicast packets per second..

So the older HP L3 Switch(5308)  goes to 100 % CPU..

Then i removed the unnecessary vlan from the HP ports and everthing was okay again...

anyone any Ideas????

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ok, so when you go to CAPWAP, the AP tunnels all the traffic to the WLC.  The port it is on should be an access port, no need for mutliple VLAN in this mode.

My thoughts would be that the AP was sending traffic with no tag, and the switch saw all this untagged traffic and flooded it out all the VLAN that were marked untagged for the port.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

i know that i only need the untagged vlan where the controller interface is in..

I want to remove it when i have time..

I have a untagged vlan for the APs but only one wy flood it out in other vlans?

harvisin
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Christian,

I think that Steve is correct the AP was sending traffic without any tag, so when the switch saw  this untagged  traffic it  flooded  out all the VLAN that were marked untagged for  the port.

I have checked it on a hp switch, its the same as on a cisco switch, the can be only one untagged(native) Vlan on a switchport...

i think this is a incorrect packet handling on the HP switch... no good cisco stuff:

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card