cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Management IP on controllers

s.hellman
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 5508 and one WCS server, the controllers are in one mobility group.

Now I have to change the management IP addresses on the controllers. What are the correct steps to do this?

9 Replies 9

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

After the change

- Redo mob groups as the WLC ip s will be different

- Deleted WLCs in WCS and readd under no IPs

- If you have APs config with primary, secondary etc you will need to make sure you put the correct WLC IPs

- If you are using Radius - You will need to add the IP to NAC

- TACACS same

- Differernt subet net, if so make sure the vlan is on the switch up into the wlc

- DHCP option43, dns or however your APs discover the WLC will need to have the IP updated ..

Thats what I can thin of off the top of my head .. I hope this helps ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

HI,

Gerorge ist right I did it a few day ago with a second AP Manager, moved all AP's to the new added, deletetd the AP Manager changed the management IP over the service port to the new before created AP Manager. 2 or more AP Manager are only working without LAG. So after everything worked, I actived LAG again..

ONLY I wanted to add to Gregors points, are firewall setting if you have outside AP's or restrictions to the WLC Management for Management.

regards,

Sebastian

Sebastian,

isnt or is ? LOL

The WLC managment address is used for a number of functions.

Also --- Specific to FW. If you change the AP manager and you have a FW rules. You would have to consider opening up that IP (AP Manager). Other wise the AP will not be able to terminte to the AP manger.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George, what do you mean with:

- Deleted WLCs in WCS and readd under no IPs

Will the WLC:s be deleted when I change the managemnet IP:s ?

Remember, how a WLC is joined to a WCS is via the WLC managment address, right.

So, if you change the WLC managment address then you need to readd the WLC in WCS.

Make sense?

Gregor I mean is, it was a typo.

You had me rethinking there for a moment ! LOL

When I readd the WLC:s, will they show up as the old WLC:s in WCS or as new ones so I will have double amount of controllers?

What will happen with the configuration when I readd them?

Once you change the IPs the WLCs will go RED, like they lost connection.

In WCS, simply delete the controllers. Change the WLC managment IPs and then readd to WCS.

As for the configuration. Now thats a good question. For exmaple, the aps on the maps etc. I bet they will come back. You could always to a WCS backup before you remove them just incase.