Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WAPs being prompted to join network after being on for years

jdelgaizo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have (2) Cisco controllers: a 4400 series and 5500 series controller.  At present, I am using AIR-AP1131AG Access Points that have been in service for a few years on my network.  I have 2 wireless networks: Guest and Staff.  Staff requires a password where guest does not, and we're using a radius server for authentication.

One of my colleagues that pushes out media content nightly to ipod touches that we provide to customers as they "tour" our museum told me that a few of them she's had to enter the staff password to get them on the network, where they've been connected to the staff network for @ 2 years now.  Her concern is that as she has to do a large media push coming up, that more and more of these APs will require a password to connect tot the staff network, where in the past we've never had to re-enter the staff wi-fi password.

Any ideas why this would suddenly occur?  Could it be a setting on one of my 2 controllers?  I would think not because the majority of these APs have been in service for 2+ years and they're all at one time on staff network and we never have to re-add staff network password.

I guess my question boils down to: should I focus on controller setting or the WAP itself? And more importantly, is there anything I can do to prevent the other access points from prompting for a staff password?  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is most likely a device issue and not a configuration on the WLC. I have multiple Apple devices that I use personally and test with. Changes or reboots sometime on these iOS devices can prompt for the username or really the preshared key since that is what you are using. I typically reboot my iOD devices once in a while when that happens.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is most likely a device issue and not a configuration on the WLC. I have multiple Apple devices that I use personally and test with. Changes or reboots sometime on these iOS devices can prompt for the username or really the preshared key since that is what you are using. I typically reboot my iOD devices once in a while when that happens.

-Scott

Thanks Scott for the fast response.  Sounds like there isn't much I can do then, other than hope that the number of devices that suddenly are prompting for password stay on the low side.

Again, thanks for the fast reply.

Jon

The main thing since your not using a radius and your using preshared key. If other devices are working fine then usually there is nothing wrong with the wireless. Now have these devices had an iOS update recently as that can of caused the issue with some devices. The main thing with iOS devices with the newer firmware is that session timeout needs to be disabled on the WLAN. Also make sure that your only using WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES. Don't use both on the same WLAN and don't mix and match it up like WPA/TKIP and AES or WPA2/TKIP and AES. If you do have both enabled, take a look at the iOS devices and see if they are set to use WPA-Personal or WPA2-Personal. That will help you decide what needs to stay enabled and what you need to disable.

-Scott

Thanks.  Not sure if the device had iOS update recently or not.  But I will double check the controller for session time out and disabled if it's enabled.

Thanks,

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card