Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Wireless & Siemens IWLAN RCoax Cable

mr.marslin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Could Someone connect the Siemens IWLAN RCoax Cable on Cisco AP2600 / 3600 ?

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know if you could, but IF you can, I would recommend that you DON'T.

The longer the cable, the higher the signal loss of the antenna. 

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One thing you need to understand about a DAS system especially the leaky cable is that usually they tend to run only one cable. So only one port on the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz is terminated. DAS like this doesn't support 802.11n or diversity. In places like a underground bridge or a rail system, etc. these might make better sense since your jury trying to get some signal down there. To use this in a building isn't worth it. I have worked an a few DAS systems and you are very limited and the cost is actually higher than just placing access points in the ceiling.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello Scott,

I want install wireless in the elevator & tunnel~

So, plan to connect the rcoax cable @CISCO AP.

Could you explain why not support MIMO ?

( Two CISCO 3500 AP between connect 3 rocaox cable via 2.4G or 5G)

Thanks.

Well diversity requires antenna spacing and you can't get that with leaky coax. Antenna spacing is dependent on multiples of the wavelength. You would need to go back to the manufacture and ask if they support diversity with leaky coax and how do they do it.

-Scott

Elevators?

How many floors and how many elevators?

I've seen a design where they put an AP in the elevator cars.  Gives everyone the "buzz".

I've also seen a design where they put the AP outside the elevator doors at every floor. 

Just 10 floor.

I already install AP outside the elevator doors at every floor.

But It is not good~

So, I want to test the RCoax Cable in the elebator tunnel. ^^

APs outside the elevator hasn't worked well in the past. Putting an AP inside the elevator is better, but as long as its out in prior to the elevator being installed. Most of all elevator companies in the US will not add cable to place an AP in the elevator.

So go ahead an run a leaky cable and see if that helps or not, just remember you will not get diversity or 802.11n rates, but who really cares. It seems like you just want to provide some sort of wifi in the elevator.

-Scott

Ive had success placing aps in the pit point up and in the penthouse pointing down. In fact we pointed in the pit 9 floors and had great coverage. We did get permission from the local elevator inspector.

Ive also had luck installing aps in the car. The car had data already pulled to it for badge readers. We used the unused pairs and powered the ap off the car.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin