Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC best practices for understand and implement throughput

hello everyone, I immediately state that I have little experience in the wireless field. What I'm trying to do is figure out how to improve a wifi network that has been implemented for some time. the network is made up of cisco ap and cisco wlc 3504. Clearly the goal is to try to improve the available bandwidth and total wifi coverage in the areas, in order to create little interference on the 2.4 ghz band and improve throughput as much as possible. Also, what I'm trying to figure out is how to improve and optimize Microsoft Teams traffic. Obviously, everything is not easy .. since I am learning little by little how the network works. Anyone have any ideas on what I can see to understand how to achieve my goal? Or on what are the best practices?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

throughput + WiFi is not something which can co-exist without running in to problems. So you need to work out a sound plan. Wireless is a very sensitive media, due to non-tangible nature it is prone to interference which we cannot identify easily (even 5GHz), interference could come from your own wireless infra or from another source. I would say get professional help to plan and design the setup and conduct a onsite site survey to study the RF propagation to recommend AP positioning and usage of antennas. That being said below is a very high level of things I would follow, but adopt only after studying your setup and preferably after a survey

1. Run the latest cisco recommended AireOS

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-tac-recommended-aireos.html

2. Use latest model of AP's. Vendors always put their best effort to for design and testing of their top of the line products. If budget allows, and the requirement can be justified against the cost please go with the top of the line AP's.

3. Always try to have the latest wireless drivers for the connecting clients. I know it is difficult, but if you have centrally managed devices please go ahead and upgrade them tot he latest.

4. Read the release notes of the product and the software, understand the bugs proactively and apply the workarounds.

5. Do not use AVC if the WLC is fully loaded, this has a rough impact of 30% on the performance of the WLC. If you need to mark MS teams traffic you will have to use this feature, but please study the limitations before implementing.

6. Do not use FRA, if it's not thoroughly tested or if you don't have a sound RF plan.

7. Do not use wide channel widths. Always try to go for the narrow channel width's as this will provide you with more channels in 5GHz. Using 40MHz in 2.4GHz is not recommended at all.

8. Selectively turn off 2.4 GHz radios. After doing the changes conduct a site survey to verify that there is sufficient coverage.

9. Use band-select for SSID's. This will steer the clients to 5GHz radio.

10. Do not use hidden SSID's. This doesn't increase security and it will create lot of issues for certain clients like roaming etc.

11. Enable Fast SSID change.

12. Follow RFC5737 for configuring the virtual IP

13. Enable client load balance in WLC, but please note this can have some issues with certain clients. Test it before enabling.

14. Enable 802.11k,v. For FT make it enabled and use over the air, dont use adaptive.

15. Keep the maximum number of SSID to 3, use dynamic VLAN assignment using radius if required to segregate clients based on the VLAN. 

16. Disable all lower data rates. All data rates below mandatory must be disabled. You may have to test in your environment what is the best data rate to set as mandatory. 

17 . Use clean air and ED-RRM if AP's support.

18. Do not use 10mins for DCA timer. Increase it to minimum of 4 hours.

19 . Make use of the DFS channels and all other channels allowed as per your regulatory domain.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

(I saw your thread in the other forums.)

I am going to start with the "basics": 

1. What is the exact model of APs?
  2. What is the exact firmware of the WLC? 
  3. Is FRA enabled?
  4. How are the APs deployed?  Were they deployed professionally (proper WiFi deployment plan) or haphazardly (deployed by "guessing")?
  5. What type of wireless clients are "most important" to the business?
  6. What type of wireless clients are "the worst" (example 2.4 Ghz only)?

1) the AP are Cisco AIR-CAP1602I-E-K9

2) Firmware of WLC -> 8.5.140.0

3) FRA is disabled.

4) The APs are deplyed by "guessing"

5) All the pc cleint are important for the business, in particular when they use Microsoft Teams

6) We have pcs that support 2.4 ghz only, and these pcs seem to be the ones with the most problems.

Thanks for the help

@danielesquaranti wrote:

6) We have pcs that support 2.4 ghz only, and these pcs seem to be the ones with the most problems.

1. How many PCs? 
  2. Are these PCs using WiFi dongles plugged into the USB port?

A little part of the pcs... I don't remember how many. They don't have USB
dongle.

Are these old PCs with Windows 7?

If so, get USB dongles with 5 Ghz.

1. 1602 are 802.11n AP's which are no longer supported by Cisco. I would definitely looking at an upgrade.

2. Upgrade the WLC to the latest cisco TAC recommended.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-tac-recommended-aireos.html

3. 1602 doesnt support FRA. So keep it disabled.

4. I would suggest you to look at replacing the AP's after proper site survey.

5 & 6. There are lot of dual band wireless NIC's (external and internal) for all type of PC's. Look at upgrading them at least consider a USB stick. Disable the 2.4 only capable cards. If not get yourself an spectrum analyzer or wifi analyzer and plan the channels properly. you only have 3 non-overlapping channels in 2.4 (1,6,11)

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Review what others have posted here, but the first thing you need to have done is a site survey, so you know what you currently have. This would need to be assessed by someone whom has experience. Then also a review of you current design and configuration. Your not going to improve any applications if either the two above is poor. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card