Views
Helpful
Replies

Client disconnection due to Incorrect PMKID

AnilKumar95946
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

We are facing client disconnection specially during Teams calls. It is happening when user is stationed as well as roaming. We captured the RA traces and found out the it is happening due to PMKID sent during the reassociation event is not the correct one. Currently 802.11r is set to "adaptive" mode. Cisco TAC is suggesting to turn it "OFF" which is a kind of workaround. We don not want to turn it off as it is good feature and helps in faster roaming experience. Is there a way we can resolve disconnection issue while keeping 802.11r in adaptive mode.

WLC: C9800-40 IOS: 17.3.5a  SSID: BYOD  Client Device: Iphone

Regards

Anil

3 Replies 3

Hi

Not a difficult decision. Disable 802.11r, as TAC suggest and observe for a while if the problem with clients disconnecting desapear.

You have almost nothing to lose with this action as 802.11r impact in not significante.  Actually, those features most of times brings more problem then solution.

I myself prefer slow clients roaming then clients dropping from the network when stationed. This cause a lot of stress and and turn wifi into a responsible for every network problem.

sanmar26
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Anil,

You can also try 802.11r mix mode where it will present both authentication modes (non-FT and FT auth) to the clients. If you are able to tests this, it might help.

Additionally, the link below goes a bit more in detail on the differences of each mode in the event you are not fully aware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnauH3QCI2I

Use two different ssid  

One with ft for iphone and other non-ft for other user.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card