Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration settings for a WLAN.

Rafael Jimenez
Level 4
Level 4

I have some doubts about WLC-5508.

I want deploy a remote AP. The Remote site is connected via mpls, and the bandwidth is 10MB.

The vlans in the remote site are different to the main site (where the wlc is installed) and all the switches are using transparent vtp.

Local Site.

Vlans 2,3,4,5 each vlan has its vsi configured.

Remote site.

Vlans 10,11,12 each vlan has its vsi configured.

The remote wlan is on vlan 12.

As you know the wlan configuration settings are Interface Address , VLAN Identifier  , IP Address  ,Netmask   and Gateway.

How can I add the remote WLAN if the associate interface must have an vlan id?. Which vlan id should I use?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

#The vlans in the remote site are different to the main site?

Based on this i see that you're looking for HREAP data switching = local

#What if the dhcp server is in the branch?. do I need setup hreap?.

Yes, you need hreap local switching.

#But what does the neighbor switch if the wlc deliver a frame with a tag that it doesnt know?.

you need L3 to connect them or vpan to connect the two private network.

#But Im confused because the neigbor switch is a L3 switch with many  vlans. The branch is connected to the L3 switch with a tunnel.

What  does the switch when its receve the packet (with branch addressing)  from the wlc if the tag comes from the branch and there is no vlan with  these tag in the main site?.

No, the packet destined to branch won't come via WLC because it is local switching and it has to come off capwap.

On hreap local switching, AP will send data packets to it local gateway of that vlan for L3.

If you want to talk between central site and branch then You need to have a L3/vpn between branch and central site.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

It doesn't matter if the vlan is end- to-end or local. What is important is for the subnet which the AP/WLAN will reside to be routable and being able to reach the controller and external dhcp server, if used.

But what does the neighbor switch if the wlc deliver a frame with a tag that it doesnt know?.

What if the dhcp server is in the branch?. do I need setup hreap?.

The situation is the following:

the wlc interface for the branch has a branch subnet configuration, ip, gw, mask.

the wlan for the branch is attached to that interface.

But Im confused because the neigbor switch is a L3 switch with many vlans. The branch is connected to the L3 switch with a tunnel.

What does the switch when its receve the packet (with branch addressing) from the wlc if the tag comes from the branch and there is no vlan with these tag in the main site?.

You should understand that for the 5508 controller, the management interface acts as both management and AP manager interface. The management interface can be tagged or untagged, in which case the switch trunk port has to be untagged or tagged. For example, if you specify a vlan ID on the management interface, then the switch port must not have a native vlan ID.

If don't want the management interface to handle client traffice, then you can create another dynamic interface with Vlan tagging and map the WLAN to the new dynamic interface instead of the management interface. The Vlan ID on the dynamic interface must match the vlan created on the L3 switch. If there is a L2 switch before the L3 switch, then you just create the same vlan on the L2 switch but with no IP address as the routed vlan will be on the L3 switch.

Please refer to this link for better understanding:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.2/configuration/guide/cgIX.html

Maybe, I do not make myself clear well. I had to implement an alternative solution.

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

#The vlans in the remote site are different to the main site?

Based on this i see that you're looking for HREAP data switching = local

#What if the dhcp server is in the branch?. do I need setup hreap?.

Yes, you need hreap local switching.

#But what does the neighbor switch if the wlc deliver a frame with a tag that it doesnt know?.

you need L3 to connect them or vpan to connect the two private network.

#But Im confused because the neigbor switch is a L3 switch with many  vlans. The branch is connected to the L3 switch with a tunnel.

What  does the switch when its receve the packet (with branch addressing)  from the wlc if the tag comes from the branch and there is no vlan with  these tag in the main site?.

No, the packet destined to branch won't come via WLC because it is local switching and it has to come off capwap.

On hreap local switching, AP will send data packets to it local gateway of that vlan for L3.

If you want to talk between central site and branch then You need to have a L3/vpn between branch and central site.

Thanks for your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card