cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 1262N Access Point

tbranch109
Level 1
Level 1

I apologize ahead of time... I've never configured anything Cisco. This was sent to me to add to the network and I am trying to get it to connect and have had no success. I've connected it to the network and DHCP did not give it an IP address. I've tried to connect via a console cable and am lost at that point. I've tried connecting through a browser using 10.0.0.1 but cannot because that is the IP of my firewall. I believe I am connecting through the console cable using Putty and COM1, but at that point I'm not sure what to do. I'm begging, I need help!

1 Reply 1

aqjaved
Level 3
Level 3

How to configure Cisco Access Point:

Connecting to the 1200, 1230, 1240, and 1250 Series Access Points Locally

If you need to configure the access point locally (without connecting the access point to a wired LAN), you can connect a PC to its console port using a DB-9 to RJ-45 serial cable.

Follow these steps to open the CLI by connecting to the access point console port:

Step 1:

Connect a nine-pin, female DB-9 to RJ-45 serial cable to the RJ-45 serial port on the access point and to the COM port on a computer. The Cisco part number for the DB-9 to RJ-45 serial cable is AIR-CONCAB1200. Browse to http://www.cisco.com/go/marketplace to order a serial cable.

Step 2:

Set up a terminal emulator to communicate with the access point. Use the following settings for the terminal emulator connection: 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and no flow control. Note if xon/xoff flow control does not work, use no flow control.

Step 3:

When connected, press enter or type en to access the command prompt. Pressing enter takes you to the user exec mode. Entering en prompts you for a password, and then takes you to the privileged exec mode. The default password is Cisco and is case-sensitive. Note when your configuration changes are completed, you must remove the serial cable from the access point.

Step 4:

If you have a 1200 series access point, connect to the wireless device console port and use the show ip interface brief command to display the IP address.

• Access the AP Using the Web-Browser Interface for the First Time

Use the wireless device’s IP address to browse to the management system. See the “Obtaining and Assigning an IP Address” section on page 4-4 for instructions on assigning an IP address to the wireless device. Follow these steps to begin using the web-browser interface:

Step 1:

Start the browser.

Step 2:

Enter the wireless device’s IP address in the browser Location field (Netscape Communicator) or Address field Internet Explorer) and press Enter. The Summary Status Home page appears.

Using the Management Pages in the Web-Browser Interface

Enabling HTTPS for Secure Browsing

Using Online Help

Disabling the Web-Browser Interface

The web-browser interface contains management pages that you use to change the wireless device Settings, upgrade firmware, and monitor and configure other wireless devices on the network.

The following parameters can be configured by using the web browser interface.

VLAN Configuration

SSID configuration

VLAN-to-SSID mappings

Gain and power settings

Maximum reach

Maximum throughput

Light Extensible Authentication Protocol (LEAP) configuration (including LEAP/RADIUS server)

Local user profiles for local LEAP server

Encryption modes

Wireless MAC filter

Detect MACs for filter (capture network discovered MAC addresses and export to MAC filter list)

Broadcast SSID

Accessing the CLI

You can open the wireless device’s CLI using Telnet or Secure Shell (SSH).

Opening the CLI with Telnet

Follow these steps to open the CLI with Telnet. These steps are for a PC running Microsoft Windows with a Telnet terminal application. Check your PC operating instructions for detailed instructions for your operating system.

Step 1:

Select Start > Programs > Accessories > Telnet.

If Telnet is not listed in your Accessories menu, select Start > Run, type Telnet in the entry field, and press Enter.

Step 2:

When the Telnet window appears, click Connect and select Remote System.

Note In Windows 2000, the Telnet window does not contain drop-down menus. To start the Telnet session in Windows 2000, type open followed by the wireless device’s IP address.

Step 3:

In the Host Name field, type the wireless device’s IP address and click Connect.

Step 4:

At the username and password prompts, enter your administrator username and password. The default username is Cisco, and the default password is Cisco. The default enable password is also Cisco. Usernames and passwords are case-sensitive.

Connecting to the 1200, 1230, 1240, and 1250 Series Access Points Locally

If you need to configure the access point locally (without connecting the access point to a wired LAN), you can connect a PC to its console port using a DB-9 to RJ-45 serial cable.

Follow these steps to open the CLI by connecting to the access point console port:

Step 1:

Connect a nine-pin, female DB-9 to RJ-45 serial cable to the RJ-45 serial port on the access point and to the COM port on a computer. The Cisco part number for the DB-9 to RJ-45 serial cable is AIR-CONCAB1200. Browse to http://www.cisco.com/go/marketplace to order a serial cable.

Step 2:

Set up a terminal emulator to communicate with the access point. Use the following settings for the terminal emulator connection: 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and no flow control. Note if xon/xoff flow control does not work, use no flow control.

Step 3:

When connected, press enter or type en to access the command prompt. Pressing enter takes you to the user exec mode. Entering en prompts you for a password, and then takes you to the privileged exec mode. The default password is Cisco and is case-sensitive. Note when your configuration changes are completed, you must remove the serial cable from the access point.

Step 4:

If you have a 1200 series access point, connect to the wireless device console port and use the show ip interface brief command to display the IP address.

Assigning Basic Settings:

After you determine or assign the wireless device’s IP address, you can browse to the wireless device’s Express Setup page and perform an initial configuration:

Step 1:

Open your Internet browser. The wireless device web-browser interface is fully compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0 on Windows 98, 2000, XP platforms, and with Netscape version 7.0 on Windows 98, 2000, XP, and Solaris platforms.

Step 2:

Enter the wireless device’s IP address in the browser address line and press Enter. An Enter Network Password screen appears.

Step 3:

Press Tab to bypass the Username field and advance to the Password field.

Step 4:

Enter the case-sensitive password Cisco and press Enter. The Summary Status page appears. A typical Summary Status page

Step 5:

Click Express Setup. The Express Setup shows the Express Setup page for the 1100 series access points. Your pages may differ depending on the access point model you are using. If you have an 1130AG, 1200, 1240 series access point or 1300 series access point/bridge, connect to the access point console port and assign a static IP address.

For Complete and step by step configurations, please visit the below link. Thanks for your Time.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_10b_JA/configuration/guide/scg12410b.pdf

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card