cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Diversity antenna systems ?

eal54
Level 1
Level 1

When using two AIR-ANT2506 antennas for a diversity antenna systems, how far apart should they be? I've seen 5", 5.5" 18" etc.

6 Replies 6

The doc was no help. Anyone else?

The 2.4G wavelength is ~5.5," If you measure the distance between the antenna terminals of a 1200 series AP (used for diversity), the distance is ~5 - 5.5" ...

That said, there is no critical distance; the idea is to have the antennas apart enough so that multipath and nulls can be reduced. I believe that as long as you have at least 5.5" of space, you're pretty much good to go.

Good Luck

Scott

cmgodoy
Level 1
Level 1

You need to horizontally space the two antennas at least 10 wavelengths apart.For vertical spacing, you use 6 wavelengths. In 2.4 GHz, 10 wavelengths are aprox. 48". In this way, the best results are achieved (maximum diversity gain).

kk74se123
Level 1
Level 1

Note that cisco's view is not to go greater than 20" or 4 wavelengths. If you space your antennas greater you run a higher CHANCE of them effecting the performance of your wireless nodes. The cell of each antenna begins to be to far apart and the users start to see their connection dropping. The way i have calculated this is that cisco states you should not exceed 4 multiples of the wavelength... 4x5" = 20". =)

But this is also a thread from 2005 and i doubt the gentleman is still looking for an answer ;)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card