cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Embedded Wireless Controller (EWC) on C9400

Martin2m2
Level 1
Level 1

Since both C9300 and C9400 run IOS-XE and both are in essence access switches, can it be expected that the C9400 will support Embedded Wireless Controller (EWC) in the future? And if so, is anything planned yet?

Regards,

Martin

- I say what I mean and I do what I say -
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It should be already supported. Listed in this compatibility matrix

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise-networks/software-defined-access/compatibility-matrix.html 

SDA-9400.PNG

Note that, you require fabric enabled wireless (SDA-Wireless) to make use of that embedded WLC in these platform.(known as eWLC whereas EWC is the name given to WLC embedded on catalyst AP like 9120/9130)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

It should be already supported. Listed in this compatibility matrix

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise-networks/software-defined-access/compatibility-matrix.html 

SDA-9400.PNG

Note that, you require fabric enabled wireless (SDA-Wireless) to make use of that embedded WLC in these platform.(known as eWLC whereas EWC is the name given to WLC embedded on catalyst AP like 9120/9130)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you Rasika.

So eWLC is supported on the C9400 but only for fabric mode (SDA). That leaves the problem how to support the AP's before SDA is implemented. This can be EWC on the AP's (less than 20), or use FlexConnect from the C9800-L on the HQ.

I would go with FlexConnect mode AP, if APs are in a branch and WLC is at a central office.

EWC (embedded wireless controller on 9100 series AP) if it is a really small branch deployment & no central WLC is available.

HTH

Rasika

I just heard that eWLC support on the C9400 for non-fabric mode is on the roadmap.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card