Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling FlexConnect

jj27
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I have a situation where I have to deploy 1600 APs to a remote controller due to them not being supported by the 2100 series controllers at our local site. There are 1142s connected to the local controllers.

I have the 1600s configured and they register with the remote controller, but the clients connect to the SSID and receive the remote site's IP addressing.

To fix this, I've figured out I need to deploy FlexConnect.  I understand that I need to enable FlexConnect Local Switching on the WLAN Profile Advanced tab.

Here are my questions:

1. By enabling FlexConnect on the WLAN profile, will it require FlexConnect to be enabled on all APs, even the 1142s which I do not want to configure that way?
  2. Also by enabling FlexConnect, will it cause any service disruption to any connected clients on the SSID to APs that are not configured as FlexConnect?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

By enabling FlexConnect on the WLAN profile, will it require FlexConnect to be enabled on all APs, even the 1142s which I do not want to configure that way?

No.... This just gives you the option to be able to map a wlan to a vlan at the local site where the FlexConnect AP is located.

Also by enabling FlexConnect, will it cause any service disruption to any connected clients on the SSID to APs that are not configured as FlexConnect?

You will have a small glitch when you make any change to an SSID, but its really a small glitch.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

By enabling FlexConnect on the WLAN profile, will it require FlexConnect to be enabled on all APs, even the 1142s which I do not want to configure that way?

No.... This just gives you the option to be able to map a wlan to a vlan at the local site where the FlexConnect AP is located.

Also by enabling FlexConnect, will it cause any service disruption to any connected clients on the SSID to APs that are not configured as FlexConnect?

You will have a small glitch when you make any change to an SSID, but its really a small glitch.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thank you for the information. I will apply the configuration and see if I have any issues.

Thanks.

Just make sure you enable the native vlan on the FlexConnect tab on the access point.  Then you will be allowed to map the wlan to vlan.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Yep.  I also need to configure the switchport as a trunk and allow the VLANs.  My main concern was enabling FC local switching and immediately breaking all AP1142s that weren't going to be in FlexConnect mode, but from what you said that should not happen.

Nah your fine... just a small glitch:)

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card