cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

guest wlan design questions

dan.letkeman
Level 4
Level 4

I need to setup a guest wlan on a single 5508 controller. Currently all of my ap's are in h-reap mode and all in remote buildings connected via a high speed wireless wan.

The guest network could consist of 500 users in the near future, so i'm wondering what is the best way to configure the guest wlan so I don't have one big broadcast domain across my entire network?

2 Replies 2

klein425
Level 1
Level 1

The best way would be to use AP Groups which sets an SSID on a specific access point to belong to specified VLAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps10315/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html (see page 6-47 for exact configuration instructions).

I'm assuming that you want guest traffic tunneled back to the controller.

Ok. I already have my ap's in ap groups (per building) and I have different vlans in each building with the same ssid company wide. I'm doing this via h-reap.

My question is how do I accomplish the same thing with the guest wlan, but without h-reap. Or do i use h-reap and just setup acl's to block the traffic? But then does web authentication work the same?

The confusion for me comes in at the controller level with the guest-wlan interface I created having to be attached to a vlan. Is this not needed to do web authentication?

Thanks,

Dan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: