Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Home wifi setup.

I currently have 2 floors and a basement.  Each is about 2000 squarefoot.  I currently have 3 routers, one on each floor.  The internet is gigabit fiber. 

The problem I have is that my area has poor cell service, so I use wifi calling in the house.  When I move in between floors the wifi does not hand off to the new router unless it completely loses it.  I would like seamless hand off.  It is also annoying to disconnect and reconnect to wifi when I change floors so that I get better speed.

In reading, I have chosen to get 3x  1852 access points.  I was thinking of using mobility express.  However, the WLC 5508 is at end of sale but will be supported for 5 more years.  As such I can pick up a used one for very little money. Which would be better?  

Also, as another option, I run ESX for my home media server with xeon / supermicro.  The software would be more expensive than the 5508 and I'd rather a physical controller.

Anyone have any advice for me?  Thanks!!

-Mike

15 Replies 15

If you are familiar with Cisco wireless configs I would suggest to go with a small controller, like 2504 & few APs (like 2702 or 3702). Below link will help you to find out AP model supported software releases.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#56735

Functionality same as a 5508, however last supported software version is AireOS 8.5.x. 

If you buy it from e-bay, make sure that controller got right image (at least 8.0.x or 8.5.x) & APs are in lightweight mode. Otherwise you may in trouble downloading software from cisco without a maintenance contract.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm with Rasika.
2504 and 5508 are from the same generation. 2504 can support only up to 75 APs so it's cheaper. Get two or more (for spare).
Do note that no matter how many APs you get or what model the APs are, the APs need to be mounted correctly (and not just sitting on the table).
Make sure the controller is running the latest 8.5.X.X firmware.

So 2504 instead of 5508.  Is cost the only issue?  The reason I ask is that the used 5508 and the 2504 are actually pretty comparable in price for used units.  

Why 2702 instead of the 1850 series?

Thanks!!  I really appreciate the help.

Mike

@MichaelBerry1309 wrote:

So 2504 instead of 5508.  Is cost the only issue?  The reason I ask is that the used 5508 and the 2504 are actually pretty comparable in price for used units.  

5508 has a large footprint.  And very noisy. 

Otherwise, whatever floats your boat.

Haha. Ok so 2504 with upgraded software. Maybe an extra. 1852 mounted properly on each floor. Should I get with external antenna (1852e)? Any other setup you think would work better?

Mike

@MichaelBerry1309 wrote:
Should I get with external antenna (1852e)? Any other setup you think would work better?

1852E means you need to get antennas.  And some of those antennas are pretty ugly for internal use.  Better off using 1852I instead. 

How are you planning to power up the APs?  Injectors?  PoE?  Power Brick?

I was just going to plug them in but it looks like it doesn't come with a power source.  I guess I'll probably go the POE route.  I have a Netgear Prosafe switch with POE ports that I can swap out with a cheaper nonPOE switch.  The other option is to get a used cisco 24 port  (I'm almost full on the 16 I have).  Or just add another smaller switch with POE.  I'll have to really figure out all the cisco product numbers though. 

-Mike

Any suggestions on the switch?

How about the 2960s series?

-Mike

2960S is nice. Good platform, very stable IOS codes available.

Thanks all for your recommendations!

Ok.  So I got a new 2504 and a new 2960S-24PS-L at good prices on ebay.  I upgraded the software of the 2504 to the suggested 8.5.135.0.  The field recovery image is 7.6.101.1.  (Do I need to upgrade that?)  The switch I updated to the latest stable image: 15.0(2)SE12.

I used the express setup GUI on both units.  Supposedly when setup this way the 2504 uses the most common setup for small business?   Any settings I should be concerned with?

APs:   I was thinking of either the 1852i or the 1832i.  Is there an advantage for me to have the 1850 series for the extra cost?  Should I be looking at a different AP?

-Mike

Hi Mike,

You can find comparison between those AP models using below link. Main difference is 1852 is having more radio chains & can do 4 Spatial Streams.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/access-points/product-comparison.html

MIMO radio design: number of spatial streams 3x3:2 MU/SU-MIMO MIMO radio design: number of spatial streams 4x4:4 SU-MIMO

If you can find 2702/3702 in good price, I think that is also a good choice. Those AP support Clean Air feature, sometime useful to detect WiFi/Non-WiFi interference. (those 18xx AP does not support that)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Anyone have answers to my other questions?

Thanks!

-Mike

Upgrade the firmware of the WLC or the APs won't join.

Ok.  I updated to 8.5 but your saying I need to upgrade the field recovery image as well?  Looks like the latest FUS is 2.0.  I think I have 1.9.

-Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: