Views
Helpful
Replies

image data request received from an unsupported ap

Anand Chourasia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have installed new AP 3702 with the existing wlc 5508. After upgrading the WLC from 7.2 to 8.0.133.0 the ap joined the Controller and the internet connectivity is working very fine.

But the LED of ap in not stabling on green/blue, Its blinking continuously RED = GREEN = OFF.

When checked in WLC  we are getting the following error message.

"image data request received from an unsupported ap"

is there any compatibility issue with the version or any other problem.

I am sending some snaps which can help you to understand this poblem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Anand,

Is this a universal mode AP which has not been primed by any chance? This is the only other that I know off where this behavior is seen.

Please also try toggling the LED status using the command provided earlier. 

Best Regards,

WiFi Trainers (www.wifitrainers.com)

Your one stop solution for all your wireless training needs!

******** Please rate if useful *********

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Whilst your software version looks fine I think you may need to upgrade your firmware to the latest version (1.9.0). This will take your "Field Recovery Image Version" from 6.0.182.0 to 7.6.101.1.

This will require a reload and an outage of about 45-60mins to the WLC as it installs. It is very important you do not restart or power off the WLC during this upgrade as that will break the WLC and it will require TAC to replace.

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282600534&softwareid=284364857&release=1.9.0.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Cheers,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

WiFi Trainers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Anand,

AP LED blinking continuously RED = GREEN = OFF means that the AP has not yet joined the WLC:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/3700/quick/guide/ap3700getstart.html#pgfId-37791

From your screenshots it looks like AP has joined correctly. The error is from the last connection failure reason which could be from the time the WLC was on 7.2 code and 3702 AP's are not supported. You can try toggling the LED status using the command and check if it helps: 'config ap led-state {enable | disable} Cisco_AP'

A reload of the AP is also another option that you can try.

Best Regards,

Hi,

I have reloaded both the AP and the WLC 5 to 6 times but still no luck.

Hi Anand,

Is this a universal mode AP which has not been primed by any chance? This is the only other that I know off where this behavior is seen.

Please also try toggling the LED status using the command provided earlier. 

Best Regards,

Hi,

How can I check that it is universal mode and about primed?

Hi Anand,

In the WLC GUI, go to Wireless > Access Points > All APs, and click the AP name to see the details. In the Advanced tab, the Country Code is ‘UX’ and Universal Prime Status is ‘Unprimed’.

Best Regards,

Hi,

Yes it is universal AP showing the Country Code is ‘UX’ and Universal Prime Status is ‘Unprimed’..

Now what can I do to resolve this issue?

Hi Anand,

Please follow the steps in the below guide to prime the AP:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/ux-ap/guide/uxap-mobapp-g.html

Also appreciate if you could rate if you found this helpful :).

Best Regards,

Rated, nice spot! ^^

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Thanks Ric :).

Best Regards,

Hi,

With following this document I completed the priming process but that AP is not joining my controller while other AP which are in unprimed condition are joined; but the led is still blinking red=green=off.

Priming is the process where the regulatory domain and country configuration for the universal access point is set. The regulatory domain and country configuration for your access point define the valid set of channels and allowed power levels for the country where your AP is installed.

A universal access point can get primed in two ways:

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card